The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Of course it's part of Oxbridge! Have you never been to Oxbridge or seen it on tv? It's just round the corner from Zanzebar and about 20mins on the train from the Garden of Eden.

You're right about Thames Valley; it's probably the strongest of all the Oxbridge colleges. It does a truly wonderful 'Burberry Studies' course where the completion rate is almost 45%....or is that the mortality rate?

But yes, to conclude, everything you said was correct. Any other questions that might lighten up my day?
Reply 2
Oxbridge is an abbreviated term for Oxford and Cambridge. Oxford Brookes is in pretty much the same area as Osford university but is on no way a part of either Oxford/Cambridge by any standards. The parents you mentioned are either not aware of that or are showing off things that couldn't be far from the truth. :p:.
Reply 3
But darling, I'm at university in Oxford :wink:
Reply 4
I think the simple answer is 'no' :wink:
Reply 5
oxford brookes is not oxbridge, tell their parents to stop them making fools of themselves.
Reply 6
cabeca
Of course it's part of Oxbridge! Have you never been to Oxbridge or seen it on tv? It's just round the corner from Zanzebar and about 20mins on the train from the Garden of Eden.

You're right about Thames Valley; it's probably the strongest of all the Oxbridge colleges. It does a truly wonderful 'Burberry Studies' course where the completion rate is almost 45%....or is that the mortality rate?

But yes, to conclude, everything you said was correct. Any other questions that might lighten up my day?

Cabeca, you are hilarious! :rofl:

To turn to the OP's question. No, Oxford Brookes is a former polytechnic and has nothing to do with Oxbridge (the collective term for both Oxford University and Cambridge University). However, it is an excellent university for many courses, and is by far the best of the former polytechnics, and, I imagine, will continue to improve and increase its ranking.
Reply 7
his parents keep saying its so good their son goes to oxbridge

Wow, how lucky is he, to go to uni no were in the top 20 and have them think you are going to the #1 uni in the country. Wow just wow :smile:...
It really, really isn't part of Oxbridge. Neither is Thames Valley.
Lady_Muck
But darling, I'm at university in Oxford :wink:

Haha I find alot of students at Anglia ruskin say that- well with cambridge rather than oxford.

Rather than saying 'I go to Anglia Ruskin' They say 'I go to university in Cambridge' and of course people assume they are at Cambridge.
thatwhichiam
Neither is Thames Valley.

That's a lie and you know it...
fonzievision
That's a lie and you know it...

Darn! Foiled again!
Reply 12
One of the funniest oxbridge misinterpretations I've ever heard: affiliating Oxbridge making up the the top 2 with TVU ranked about 110
Fossi2
One of the funniest oxbridge misinterpretations I've ever heard: affiliating Oxbridge making up the the top 2 with TVU ranked about 110

Great thread...
Reply 14
louisedotcom
Haha I find alot of students at Anglia ruskin say that- well with cambridge rather than oxford.

Rather than saying 'I go to Anglia Ruskin' They say 'I go to university in Cambridge' and of course people assume they are at Cambridge.

thats one reason i DIDN't wanna go to Oxford Brookes (besides the fact I could go somewhere I thoguht was better for me and in general)
I couldnt bear to have anyone get confused and for me to have to say - uh, no.. the much worse uni IN oxford...
and i couldn't lie to make myself look better *cringe* i think it goes against my promgramming or something - i couldnt live with the guilt for even a little thing like that :redface: *wuss* but a good thing i think overall
Reply 15
moogle301
thats one reason i DIDN't wanna go to Oxford Brookes (besides the fact I could go somewhere I thoguht was better for me and in general)
I couldnt bear to have anyone get confused and for me to have to say - uh, no.. the much worse uni IN oxford...
and i couldn't lie to make myself look better *cringe* i think it goes against my promgramming or something - i couldnt live with the guilt for even a little thing like that :redface: *wuss* but a good thing i think overall

Oxford Brookes is still a good uni though. In years to come, it will only get higher and higher in the rankings.

I think that some people (rahs) just go there because they didn't get the grades to get into Oxford, so at Brookes they can still say "I go to uni in Oxford". :rolleyes:
Reply 16
Is this thread a joke? I think it must be. The TVU bit gives it away, surely.

In our local paper there was a very sad article once about a young student from the area who had died. The headline was: "OXFORD UNIVERSITY STUDENT DIES TRAGICALLY" or something along those lines and the text referred to him as having studied at the university's "Brookes College." I know it's the local paper, but you think they could use Google or something to check stuff.
I never wanted to go to Oxford, my brother went there. I never say I'm at uni *in* Oxford. I adore Oxford as a city, I wanted to live there, they didn't even do the course I wanted to do at Oxford (do a similar at Cambridge, but it's more economy than it is relevant).

A LOT of people I've told at work, Mum's friends (a lot are university educated) when I say Oxford Brookes, are all "Oh, well done!". And I say Brookes if they say what college etc. Sometimes people just genuinely don't realise there is another university. That's not my fault, I'm choosing the uni because of the terrific city and that it's now the top ranking university for my course.

Brookes isn't an ex-poly in the literal sense anymore like UWE, UWIC. Everyone I have spoken to in the profession I want to go into sees it as a brilliant university for some of the courses. It'll lead me to being one of the best in my field, when it beats Reading in the 'tables' then it's obviously really coming into it's own.

4 weeks, yay!
Reply 18
moogle301

The "ooh, you must be very clever, then" reactions are cringeworthy even if you are at Oxford, though. I have a friend who for a while actually told everyone back home she was at Brookes in order to avoid that...

Edit: highly embarassing typo.
Reply 19
CoolSocks
and is by far the best of the former polytechnics, and, I imagine, will continue to improve and increase its ranking.

Actually, in the latest league tables published (Guardian, 2008), Plymouth is ranked 35th place, which is significantly higher than Oxford Brooke's 53rd place. It would appear then, that Plymouth is now classed as the 'best' new university.

Latest

Trending

Trending