The Student Room Group

What does these symbols mean in logic gates?

AvB = A AND B?
¬(AvB) = NOT (A AND B)?
A^B = A OR B?
¬(AvB) v (A^B) = NOT(A AND B) AND (A OR B)

Is this right?
Not quite: is logical conjunction (AND) whilst is logical disjunction (OR). You're right, though, that ¬ is logical negation (NOT), alternatively denoted as a bar above.
Reply 2
Original post by Flame Alchemist
Not quite: is logical conjunction (AND) whilst is logical disjunction (OR). You're right, though, that ¬ is logical negation (NOT), alternatively denoted as a bar above.
I learned it as a line above, myself.

Then again, I've written more logic in C than I have on paper, so I'm probably more used to !, && and ||.
Original post by Tootles
I learned it as a line above, myself.

Then again, I've written more logic in C than I have on paper, so I'm probably more used to !, && and ||.

Me too, actually; I've always preferred that as a more compact grouping. Luckily assessments don't seem to care, considering the 'preferred' notation changes between fields :rolleyes:
Reply 4
Original post by Flame Alchemist
Me too, actually; I've always preferred that as a more compact grouping. Luckily assessments don't seem to care, considering the 'preferred' notation changes between fields :rolleyes:
Yep. I learned boolean algebra when studying electronics, so the notation I know natively is (IIRC) a cross for OR and a circle for AND. I prefer diagrams though; there's less arguing about thouse :lol:
Reply 5
Alright thanks guys!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending