The Student Room Group

A100 St. Andrews Medicine - 2017 Entry

Hi Guys, I've been looking for a thread like this but it appears there isn't one so here we are I guess. Feel free to discuss stats, UKCAT etc. Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Do you guys know how much weight St A put on UKCAT and academics?
Reply 2
Original post by Cave Felem
Do you guys know how much weight St A put on UKCAT and academics?

once you meet the entry requirements, your ranked solely on ukcat score.
Reply 3
Any idea what last years cut off was for interview?

And do we know if they are going to use situational judgement as an invisible MMI station?

Thanks in advance!
Reply 4
Original post by HMarles
Any idea what last years cut off was for interview?

And do we know if they are going to use situational judgement as an invisible MMI station?

Thanks in advance!

I was thinking the same thing. There's a FOI that has been requested regarding the UKCAT cut off for previous years but it's not been answered. As far as I know I think it just gets added to your interview score? But not 100% sure. Are u a Scottish applicant?
Reply 5
Original post by Euan1603
I was thinking the same thing. There's a FOI that has been requested regarding the UKCAT cut off for previous years but it's not been answered. As far as I know I think it just gets added to your interview score? But not 100% sure. Are u a Scottish applicant?

I really hope SJ won't play too mcuh of a role on the MMI, that Band 2 will come back to haunt me otherwise...

I'm afraid I'm not a Scottish applicant, I'm a filthy Englishman.

What are your stats and where else are you applying?
Reply 6
Original post by HMarles
I really hope SJ won't play too mcuh of a role on the MMI, that Band 2 will come back to haunt me otherwise...

I'm afraid I'm not a Scottish applicant, I'm a filthy Englishman.

What are your stats and where else are you applying?

Ahh I got a band 2 aswell! Hopefully it won't play too much a role as it's only one station. What score did you get in your UKCAT otherwise? I got 680 so not sure if that's gonna be enough for interview. In my highers I got AAAAB and predicted 3As at advanced higher. Applying to Edinburgh, Dundee and Aberdeen for my others wbu?
Reply 7
Ahh I got a band 2 aswell! Hopefully it won't play too much a role as it's only one station. What score did you get in your UKCAT otherwise? I got 680 so not sure if that's gonna be enough for interview. In my highers I got AAAAB and predicted 3As at advanced higher. Applying to Edinburgh, Dundee and Aberdeen for my others wbu?

Fingers crossed about the SJ station aha. I got 740 on the rest of the UKCAT which should hopefully be enough. I got 4As at AS and am predicted 3 A*s at A Level, which is presumably equivalent to advanced highers. I've applied for Oxford, St Andrews, King's and Exeter.

Have you had any replies yet regarding interviews?
Reply 8
Hi!

I applied with stats of 740 UKCAT (Band 4 SJT :frown:), A*A*A predicted A-levels and AB achieved at AS, and received an invitation to interview yesterday! I'm also a filthy Englishman, hailing from Cornwall. :tongue: The interview is on December 1st, at 2:50pm (just in case that's interesting to anyone).

As far as I know, SJT counts for one interview station at the MMI, with there being six other stations to make your score up. I'm going in with a wonderful disadvantage.

I've also applied to Bristol, Aberdeen and Glasgow, have heard nothing back from those yet.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Chvrches
Hi!

I applied with stats of 740 UKCAT (Band 4 SJT :frown:), A*A*A predicted A-levels and AB achieved at AS, and received an invitation to interview yesterday! I'm also a filthy Englishman, hailing from Cornwall. :tongue: The interview is on December 1st, at 2:50pm (just in case that's interesting to anyone).

As far as I know, SJT counts for one interview station at the MMI, with there being six other stations to make your score up. I'm going in with a wonderful disadvantage.

I've also applied to Bristol, Aberdeen and Glasgow, have heard nothing back from those yet.

Congratulations! Yeah I've heard SJT is one section of the interview, but if you do decent in the rest you should be fine. Did you get your invite through track or email?
Thank you! With any luck, the interview will turn out OK. :smile:

They emailed me yesterday morning and track still hasn't updated, I don't know if it will or not now!
Reply 11
Just got an invite to interview yesterday for December the 1st. Let the prep begin...

If you guys have a look at some of the freedom of information stuff about the interview process it tells you a bit about the marking method for the interviews. Nothing too specific, but I thought someone might be interested.
Reply 12
Thank you! With any luck, the interview will turn out OK. :smile:

They emailed me yesterday morning and track still hasn't updated, I don't know if it will or not now!

Congrats! Have u heard of anyone else getting an interview? Will constantly be refreshing my emails now hahaha
Congrats! Have u heard of anyone else getting an interview? Will constantly be refreshing my emails now hahaha

Thank you! I haven't heard of any others so far (apart from HMarles up there^), but I'm sure there's some out there!

I haven't heard from any of the med guys from the Sutton Trust school I went on either, I'd assume some of them would've had interviews - chances are the emails from this batch of interviews isn't finished yet. There's still time! :smile:

Original post by HMarles
Just got an invite to interview yesterday for December the 1st. Let the prep begin...

If you guys have a look at some of the freedom of information stuff about the interview process it tells you a bit about the marking method for the interviews. Nothing too specific, but I thought someone might be interested.

I don't suppose you have a link for any of the stuff? Sounds good, even if it is a little vague! :smile:

How are you starting to prepare? I'm finding the Medic Portal's MMI questions and guided answers really good for prep.
Reply 14
Thank you! I haven't heard of any others so far (apart from HMarles up there^), but I'm sure there's some out there!

I haven't heard from any of the med guys from the Sutton Trust school I went on either, I'd assume some of them would've had interviews - chances are the emails from this batch of interviews isn't finished yet. There's still time! :smile:

I don't suppose you have a link for any of the stuff? Sounds good, even if it is a little vague! :smile:

How are you starting to prepare? I'm finding the Medic Portal's MMI questions and guided answers really good for prep.

Here's a link to the FOI page, keep in mind that any of the stats for it are for international applicants, but presumably the scoring system would be the same.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/356192/response/874272/attach/html/3/ResponseV1.0.pdf.html
I'm reading about NHS basics and the different organisations atm, gonna start researching specific info about ST Andrews now that I have an interview. I'll probably start having a proper look at interview questions next week somtime.

Hope that's helpful :smile:
Reply 15
Just got an interview for the 19th of December :smile: Meant to be away that week, but oh well
Reply 16
Original post by esoryma
Just got an interview for the 19th of December :smile: Meant to be away that week, but oh well

Brilliant! Congrats, have you had many other interviews? And what UKCAT did you get?
Reply 17
Brilliant! Congrats, have you had many other interviews? And what UKCAT did you get?

Thanks :smile: I have one for Dundee as well. UKCAT was 2210, 737 average, and SJT band 1
Hey everyone! I applied this year from Germany, too. Actually St. Andrews was the reason why I started to look at Scottish universities ๐Ÿ™ˆ I fell in love with St. Andrews at first sight ๐Ÿ˜ So I'll be very disappointed when I eventually get rejected ๐Ÿ˜” My ukcat didn't go that well (average 666, VR 650, QR 650, AR 700; Band 1) my academics are stronger... predicted 1.0 (Inofficially 0.9, but the highest official grade you can get here in Germany is 1.0) ๐Ÿ™ˆ Invited to a few programs for the highly gifted ( seminar for the best pupils in the region; course of molecular biology and chemistry...), lots of extracurricular: tutoring, tolerance workshops, volunteering in an exchange program, elected managing position, skiing instructor, sports, art... But very little experience working in the health section... Okayish to good PS... And haven't received an invite till today ๐Ÿ˜”๐Ÿ˜ฅ anyone willing to divulge their stats of those who received an invitation who are EU home status?
(edited 7 years ago)
Has anyone not heard from St Andrews yet? I've applied to Dundee, Glasgow, Aberdeen and St Andrews but so far only heard back from Dundee. Panic is starting to set in... :frown:

Quick Reply