The Student Room Group

I know I'm on the wrong course and I don't know what to do

I originally wanted to do Archaeology at university but the careers advisor at my school directed me towards English as none of my subjects related to it (English, Sociology, Psychology). I got an unconditional to my first choice and my motivation dropped from there, I ended up with BCD. After trying to convince myself that I had made the right choice I decided I would go through clearing to do Archaeology but never ended up doing so because summer was hectic to say the least. Now I've just finished freshers week and I'm starting a degree I already know I don't want to do and the uni I am at doesn't offer the course I want to do. I have no clue how to fix this, I'm not sure whether to suck it up and continue, try and swap to history and master in archaeology (history is more modern history so I'm not sure how that will affect employability as an archaeologist) or drop out and reapply and maybe mess up my student loans cause I'm having to rely on them. I'm leaning towards giving English a go until Christmas and if it hasn't grown on me by then drop out and reapply but with my grades I'm not sure whether I will be able to get into a uni that I want to go to if at all and I don't have a good excuse at all for my grades. I'm trying to talk to my academic personal tutor but he's not replying to my emails so it's impossible to arrange a meet up with him. I just need advice y'know? I have no clue what I'm doing and I don't want to study a degree I don't want to do to get a job I don't want to do and be left thinking what if?
If you want to try it out for a bit then give it a go, honestly you may be surprised that after a while once your properly engaged with the subject, you want to carry on.
However, if your pretty sure (and it looks like you are) on the fact that you don't want to carry on the course, see if there is another course which takes your interest.
Or are you not able to take a gap year and try again in later?
Also, if your academic advisor is not replying to your emails is there not anyone else you could go to? Like maybe the head of year one of your course or maybe your course leader, I'm not sure whether they're the same person or not...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by fatima359
If you want to try it out for a bit then give it a go, honestly you may be surprised that after a while once your properly engaged with the subject, you want to carry on.
However, if your pretty sure (and it looks like you are) on the fact that you don't want to carry on the course, see if there is another course which takes your interest.
Or are you not able to take a gap year and try again in later?
Also, if your academic advisor is not replying to your emails is there not anyone else you could go to? Like maybe the head of year one of your course or maybe your course leader, I'm not sure whether they're the same person or not...

Posted from TSR Mobile

I want to drop out and take a gap year but I'm not sure how that will affect me getting student finance for the new course and I think I'll still have to pay my accommodation here and I'm not sure if I'll even be able to get into a decent uni with my grades. And there seems to be such a stigma around dropping out of uni. I might try and talk to the careers advisor
Have you tried talking to the career advisor yet??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by jamesaj
I have no clue what I'm doing and I don't want to study a degree I don't want to do to get a job I don't want to do and be left thinking what if?

You need to find out how, if at all, your different options will affect your student loans, because it sounds like whatever answers you get to that question will affect your decision making. Since you can't make an informed decision until you know that, there's not much point in worrying over what the right choice is yet—focus on clarifying your situation and the consequences of your choices before you focus on working out which choice is right for you.

With any luck your personal tutor will get back to you sooner rather than later but there may be other sources of advice you can go to. Many student unions, for example, employ trained and experienced advisers who are independent and confidential—I strongly recommend that you check to see if yours does, and then talk to them if they're available. Even if they don't have a full professional advice service, they may well have representatives who are more used to dealing with student problems than you. Do also see if your uni's careers service can help you.

English isn't going to lock you into one English-related career path, as it's not a vocational degree. My first job after an English degree was in medicine. So don't be afraid of having to care about verbs for the rest of your life. But it does sound like you really ought to be giving archaeology a shot if it's possible to set that up.

(By the way. This probably won't make any difference, and it's not a branch of English that first year undergraduates normally get to do much of, but there is a subfield within English where it intersects with archaeology—book history, or 'the archaeology of the book', which involves a lot of careful work, sometimes quite empirical work, with surviving physical books to work out how they were made, why, who for, who read them &c &c.)

I don't know whether this will be any consolation but I'll say it anyway in case it is: whether you do archaeology or not, your degree isn't going to define you for the rest of your life. It sounds like you're in a tough spot, but rather than contemplating the long-term future too much try to focus on the concrete things you need to do in the next few weeks to clarify your situation and then decide on a course of action.
Reply 5
Original post by QHF
You need to find out how, if at all, your different options will affect your student loans, because it sounds like whatever answers you get to that question will affect your decision making. Since you can't make an informed decision until you know that, there's not much point in worrying over what the right choice is yet—focus on clarifying your situation and the consequences of your choices before you focus on working out which choice is right for you.

With any luck your personal tutor will get back to you sooner rather than later but there may be other sources of advice you can go to. Many student unions, for example, employ trained and experienced advisers who are independent and confidential—I strongly recommend that you check to see if yours does, and then talk to them if they're available. Even if they don't have a full professional advice service, they may well have representatives who are more used to dealing with student problems than you. Do also see if your uni's careers service can help you.

English isn't going to lock you into one English-related career path, as it's not a vocational degree. My first job after an English degree was in medicine. So don't be afraid of having to care about verbs for the rest of your life. But it does sound like you really ought to be giving archaeology a shot if it's possible to set that up.

(By the way. This probably won't make any difference, and it's not a branch of English that first year undergraduates normally get to do much of, but there is a subfield within English where it intersects with archaeology—book history, or 'the archaeology of the book', which involves a lot of careful work, sometimes quite empirical work, with surviving physical books to work out how they were made, why, who for, who read them &c &c.)

I don't know whether this will be any consolation but I'll say it anyway in case it is: whether you do archaeology or not, your degree isn't going to define you for the rest of your life. It sounds like you're in a tough spot, but rather than contemplating the long-term future too much try to focus on the concrete things you need to do in the next few weeks to clarify your situation and then decide on a course of action.

I'm going to have to pay at least 25% of the tuition and the full 5k accommodation if I can't find a replacement so it doesn't look like a possibility at this point...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending