Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Is Loughborough university good for criminology or psychology?

University Navigation

Announcements Posted on
Why bother with a post grad? Are they even worth it? Have your say! 26-10-2016

As the title suggests, I am interested in studying a course related to criminology or psychology but I am not sure whether Loughborough is the right university to study at. I have done some research and found that it is one of the best for my interests but I need some advice on whether it is the right decision.

Hi britneyb5sos

Great that you're considering Loughborough

Well we are a little biased Loughborough is a fantastic place to live and study - but the most important thing is to look carefully at everything we offer and decide if it's a good fit for you. For example, if you're after a big city experience whilst at university then Loughborough isn't for you - but if you like the idea of a single-site university campus then you'll love it here, you can't get any better.

I'd say the most important thing is to have a careful look at the course itself and the modules on offer - do they interest you? Are they relevant to where you see yourself in the future? Think about what interests you the most and what you want to get out of your time at university - do you want to get any industry experience during your studies? If you do, Loughborough offers an optional placement year as part of every course, so that might be something that you'd want to take advantage of.

Another thing to look at outside of your studies is the student experience on offer - University is not just about finishing with a degree, it's a life-shaping experience that can really develop you as a person and we want you to graduate with new friends, new skills and fantastic experiences. Have a think about what you want to get out of your time at University, and consider the ways that Loughborough (and your other choices) can help towards this.

It's important to remember, when all is said and done, to settle on a University where you will feel happy and content. Wherever you choose, you'll be spending the next 3-4 years of your life there - so it's about the whole package and where you will feel most at home. So don't go on somebody else's experiences or on what you think you 'should' choose - it's about where you will be happy, as that way you will go on to achieve and develop into a well-rounded, confident graduate.

Hope this helps good luck with your decision. If you have any more questions about studying at Loughborough, just shout.

Well have a look at the modules available and take a wander round the campus. Be aware Loughborough is a small town that's mostly the uni so it's not the same experience as being in a big city... that can be good, living costs are cheaper and there's nice countryside and cheap pubs and you're likely to be living close to your lectures... but at the same time there's not as much going on and less big brands/shops

Loughborough has great sports facilities for people who are serious and not serious about sport, there's loads of other societies too, check out a list to see what interests you

As for the course - I did social psychology at Loughborough and the really good thing abotu Loughborough is that you can take modules from anywhere in the department so if you study psychology you can take a fair few criminology modules alongside it
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 4, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Cats: Yay or nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.