The Student Room Group

What can i do with a biology degree apart from teaching ?

What it says on the tin really...
I want to do a degree in biological sciences and then do my masters in immunology but I fear that due to the diversity of biology I will not find a job apart from teaching.

Any advice /talks from people for have done/currently do a biology degree will be highly appreciated.
First off if you're serious about research and want to work in science just a bachelors and masters degree won't do. You need to get a PhD. A PhD will also open several more doors for you in the field. The most common mistake that students in your position make is assume that with just a bachelors they'll be fine when this is not the case.
Many graduate jobs do not require a particular degree, so biology is fine for all of those. It is true that there are not loads of biology jobs specifically. But you will get decent quantitative skills which are transferable to many jobs and will separate you from non-scientists.

I did a biology degree (back in the day) and then a Masters and PhD in psychology. I'm now an academic. But that isn't a typical path of course.

Quick Reply

Latest