The Student Room Group

How do you guys afford to pay for accommodation at £95 a week?

Sounds expensive if you don't have a job when you go to uni, not sure i will be able to afford
£95 is cheap - i study in london and i pay £180 - £190 a week for rent. i used the maintenance loan i got from the government which helped a lot , asked my parents for help and worked during first and second year - there's plenty of time to fit in a job , and i promise you can afford £95 a week with all the help the government give :smile:
Original post by oliviaevemoore
Sounds expensive if you don't have a job when you go to uni, not sure i will be able to afford

£95 is probably the cheapest accommodation I've heard of - at my university (York), I think the minimum is at least £110 (and ranges up to £150). You'll be entitled to maintenance loans, and even if you only qualify for the minimum amount (roughly £3800), then that should at least offset some of your costs, and then the government would expect your parents to contribute a bit. With a job as well, you should be able to afford rent and living costs. If your parents don't earn lots, then your loan will be higher; if you get the maximum loan and choose accommodation that's £95 a week, you definitely won't need a job; you'd have notable excess money, if you budgeted carefully.
I pay 110 a week on the minimum loan. 95 is nothing..
Yeah, I'm on £110. Honestly without the Teacher Training Grant it'd be completely impossible.
For that amount it isn't that bad. People pay far more, I myself am paying 120 a week. Borrow from your parents if need be and find a job.
Reply 6
Original post by oliviaevemoore

Maximum maintenance loan (outside London) is £8,200 per academic year (2016/17).
https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/new-fulltime-students

That would more than cover a £95 per week rental.
Reply 7
I'm on £133p/w and I'm managing - needed some extra funds but I had them so I'm covered :3
providing you get a decent loan you should be able to pay it - 100pw for 42 weeks is a pretty normal contract which is only £4200 a year, half your student finance if you get the maximum (and if you get the maximum you'll also get a bursary from your uni)

there are cheaper and more expensive places though, I paid between £55 and £70 pw during uni and, as others have said, in some places £100-150 is normal
Original post by hotliketea
£95 is cheap - i study in london and i pay £180 - £190 a week for rent. i used the maintenance loan i got from the government which helped a lot , asked my parents for help and worked during first and second year - there's plenty of time to fit in a job , and i promise you can afford £95 a week with all the help the government give :smile:

im from denmark. don mind me asking. all these loans that all of you take, do you return it back? or its fine if you went all darkside on the government?
£95 a week... if only. Mine was £165 a week outside London a few years ago. And trust me, it was far from palatial.

Bit of part-time work, bit of asking the old parentals (if that's an option) and being relatively careful with money would easily allow you to pay a £95 a week rent bill.
Reply 11
Original post by Risobelle
im from denmark. don mind me asking. all these loans that all of you take, do you return it back? or its fine if you went all darkside on the government?

They have very particular skills. They will look for you. They will find you. And they will kill you...

Posted from TSR Mobile
save up a bit before you go, thats what I'm relying on for now - £195 per week rent has left me with £170-odd of grant left for two semesters, maybe your parents could help you? i.e mine help out by paying my oyster card. Getting a part time job isn't so bad either as you will have time for it. Also budget the money you have, its surprising how little you can spend in a week if you plan out your meals properly and don't waste money on things you don't really need.
Original post by Risobelle

yeah i have to pay them back , but the system is pretty good in england.
mine is £125 a week which i consider pretty cheap, seeing as i live about a 2 minute walk from UCL
Reply 15
My accommodation is ment to be £135 a week but after scholarships it's £77 instead. So not expensive at all. If you come from a poor background you can definitely get the money.
Reply 16
Worked during the summer before starting uni, and also student bank account helps (the overdrafts).

Quick Reply

Latest