Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

applying for childrens nursing as a post results applicant

Announcements Posted on
Why bother with a post grad? Are they even worth it? Have your say! 26-10-2016

I am currently on a gap year after completing my A levels in which I acheived:
    B- sociology
    C- biology
    B- extended project
    I also got a D in AS maths. I've just started a gap year job as a healthcare assistant and volunteer with the st. john ambulance as a first aider and a youth leader. I also volunteer with another youth organisation. Despite this, I find (upon calling) prospective universities I am flatly rejected even after explaining that I am a carer and went to an under performing school. Does anyone (who has made a successful application under similar circumstances), have any advice?
    many thanks

Your qualifications do matter, so you will need gcse's grade a-c in your core subjects. Your a level grades are good enough and you will also need to apply via ucas for nursing.
    You will need to do a personal statement and attend an interview if invited for one.
    Universities can not really reject you straight away unless you're not meeting academic requirements when you're ringing and they can advise you on this.
    Nursing is competitive and requires some work just to be accepted.
    It's not really to do with where you attended school but how you portray yourself, your qualifications and your performance at interview.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 5, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

What were/are your predicted grades?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.