The Student Room Group

The SATs--A Short Introduction

Scroll to see replies

- skyhigh
It is me again :redface: Does anyone know whether you can change/ register for new subjects on SAT II on the test day itself? (if your are already registered for other 2 subjects on the same day)

They don't check what you are taking; you can pick what you want, at least for the ones you've paid for.

Official Stance of CollegeBoard
You can change your mind on test day about which Subject Test you want to take. You may substitute a Subject Test (other than a listening test), or add Subject Tests (other than a listening test) on test day.
nickybol
The first one, if I remember correctly is after 1 hour or 1.5 hour. I think it was 10 minutes. The second one is somewhere after the seventh or eigth section and is just a one-minute stretch break.

I remember 2 x 5min breaks at different times and 1 x 1 minute strech break.
megx
They don't check what you are taking; you can pick what you want, at least for the ones you've paid for.

Thanks. I have already registered for 2 tests. But I might want add another one when my score for maths II which i did last month is released ;dry; Can just i add this on the test day or do i have do a separate registration for this?
Saturday Night Special
I remember 2 x 5min breaks at different times and 1 x 1 minute strech break.

I did my SAT I today. We had a 5 min break after section two, a 1 min strech break after section four and a 10 min break after section seven.
So wait, I'm in my AS year now and I'm thinking of applying to a few American Uni's next year. How much revision do the SAT's need? For example, if I do a chemistry paper (is it in seperate papers?) then I have do lots of chemistry practise right? Is it harder than A-level? Easier?

*cries*
Reply 25
Well SAT's don't need all THAT much preparation. You can do a bit of review, and there are plenty of courses guaranteeing 200 point rises in grades, (one of which is princetonreiview, and i am enrolled in, would totally recommend) but generally if you do a bit of review and take the test, the best you can hope for is 200 points increase for your second try. SAT II's in particular are easy if you take the same subject as you are studying for ur A levels.
Reply 26
Hi, I'm considering applying to the US, but I'd be a post-A Level student. I'm a bit confused about SAT II's, do most decent US universities require them? If so, I'm not sure which I'd do, my A Level subjects have comprised of Economics, Maths, Further Maths, Accounting and German, so I'd guess I'd do Maths, possibly German although I am rubbish at it, but what would be my third subject? I'm interested in reading Economics, but I haven't studied things like English Literature since GCSE, and some subjects such as History since year 9!
El Mariachi
Hi, I'm considering applying to the US, but I'd be a post-A Level student. I'm a bit confused about SAT II's, do most decent US universities require them? If so, I'm not sure which I'd do, my A Level subjects have comprised of Economics, Maths, Further Maths, Accounting and German, so I'd guess I'd do Maths, possibly German although I am rubbish at it, but what would be my third subject? I'm interested in reading Economics, but I haven't studied things like English Literature since GCSE, and some subjects such as History since year 9!

Here is a list of US unis which require SAT IIs for admission.
http://professionals.collegeboard.com/testing/sat-subject/about/institutions
There is a of lot info on that site. You can search there for which subject to take :smile:
El Mariachi, given your other posts Ive seen, I assume you would target the best US Unis?

Of these Yale accepts A-Levels in place of SAT II (SAT I still required) on a one to one swap (so two A-Levels in place of 2 SAT II), but they must be full A-Levels (no worries for you if you apply post A2).

Most other US Uni's that use the SAT II, will not accept A-Levels (they will recognise them but really it means little to their admissions process).

Harvard and Stanford(iirc) require 3 SAT II, while most others say 2, although I think most people apply with three. Definitely do MathsIIC, Im not sure how difficult the languages are. Prehaps try US or World History which are multiple choice and as long as you put time in learning a lot of content then its fairly straigtforward. Most subject tests not like A Level where it requires skills of analysis, interpretation, understanding etc. it can be just a lot of factual learning.

Good luck, and Id advise if you are serious about this, get things started early.
Reply 29
Thanks for the advice, at the moment I'm just looking around and trying to assess my options for next year, but reading around this forum it does seem like a good idea to start early, I suppose I'll really get researching hard after my Jan exams, thanks for the advice though!
Reply 30
Hi, just wondering, is there a set number of subject that I need to do for university in US?

Also, what is the ideal score if I were to apply for the top 10 universities?

And is there a SAT for economics?

And I haven't done any history at all since year 9 (dropped for GCSE) Do I have to take a history exam?

I am in year 12 atm, so when should I take my exams?

Sorry for lots of questions. Many thanks! :smile:
p.stick
Hi, just wondering, is there a set number of subject that I need to do for university in US?

Also, what is the ideal score if I were to apply for the top 10 universities?

And is there a SAT for economics?

And I haven't done any history at all since year 9 (dropped for GCSE) Do I have to take a history exam?

I am in year 12 atm, so when should I take my exams?

Sorry for lots of questions. Many thanks! :smile:

1) Most US Uni's require SAT I or ACT, and 2 SAT II's, Harvard, MIT and a few others require 3 SAT II's

2) No real ideal score, as no schools state a minimum required mark, as high as possible preferably. There are stats avaliable showing the average mark of the current student body. Generally Id say 2100+ would be necessary to stand a good chance at a top 10 college.

3) No SAT II in Economics, there are AP's in Econ though. SAT II subject tests come in sciences, languages, maths (2 levels), history (US/World). List of tests: http://www.collegeboard.com/student/testing/sat/about/SATII.html

4) No you dont have to take the history SAT II, some colleges specify Maths II over Maths I, some require certain subjects for certain degrees, but generally pick any 3 in which you can get a high score Id say. Of course consult with individual institutions.

5) Most students tend to take them a few times, US Students tend to take it a for the first time a few years in advance of college apps, as a trial. Id say if you are planning to apply in the current admissions cycle, have a crack at the june ones (assuming your AS levels are over). Check http://www.collegeboard.com/student/testing/sat/calenfees.html for a timetable

US admissions is a long process, starting earlier can only help.
Reply 32
Thank you so much for you reply. It is very helpful.

So, how would I go about taking the exam? Should I contact my school?
Im almost certain your school wont be a SAT accredited centre, there are about 15 places in the UK to take the SAT's. I took mine at the American School in Cobham, then at the American School in London. Register at collegeboard.com it will have all the info your need there (collegeboard administer the test).
Reply 34
Cheers for the info SNS. You have been extremely helpful!
Is the 2008/2009 SAT timetable available anywhere yet, as I've missed this years last one.

And, do I get this right, that you have to take SAT's and SAT 2's at seperate times and not on the same day?
Reply 36
fisherman
Is the 2008/2009 SAT timetable available anywhere yet, as I've missed this years last one.

And, do I get this right, that you have to take SAT's and SAT 2's at seperate times and not on the same day?

I don't think the 08-09 calendar is online yet, but the general calendar pattern is the same (e.g. if there was a test in October 2007, there would most likely be a test in October 2008)

That is correct, you have to take the SAT I and SAT II on different days.
what calculator can you use during the reasoning test?
Reply 38
im a Turkish citizen but i currently live in libya due to my fathers job, however could i sit this exam here, i alreay emailed libya.usembassy.gov and 1-2 more email adresses( education advisors in the area), hope I could sit this exam here in a proper place this year :s-smilie:
[QUOTE='[m a a r i.]']what calculator can you use during the reasoning test?

There's a list of acceptable calculators on the College Board website, but I believe that you can use any calculator that doesn't have a QWERTY keyboard. This allows some rather advanced calculators. On both the reasoning test and the Math IIC test, I used a TI-89, which has the capability to solve problems for you and do much of what they ask of you.

You should probably bring two calculators as well as a change of batteries just to be safe.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending