The Student Room Group

The SATs--A Short Introduction

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
what do yall consider the BEST SAT test prep book around?? hows the college board one?
Reply 41
NazB
what do yall consider the BEST SAT test prep book around?? hows the college board one?

Depends on your needs. Princeton Review can introduce you to the basics if you're completely clueless. Barrons, if used right, can pull up an already decent score to something quite impressive.
Reply 42
NazB

The huge blue book, the one made by the college board. It's like THE OFFICIAL SAT BOOK and everyone gets one. I would buy that and another one like TPR, Kaplan, Barrons, it doesn't really matter, the SAT's are so general that all the prep books are basically the same.

AP tests and SAT subjects and very different, however. Some books are much better than others for test prep.
Reply 43
hey Im just done my alevels and am considering to apply to nyu but im SOOO confused about this SAT business, on the website it says you need the SAT Reasoning Test and SAT Subject Test what is the difference?
I went on the website and there are critical thinkin, maths and writing sections> which applies to which

and what are the subject tests and how many do you have to do!

x
Reply 44
gsc7
hey Im just done my alevels and am considering to apply to nyu but im SOOO confused about this SAT business, on the website it says you need the SAT Reasoning Test and SAT Subject Test what is the difference?
I went on the website and there are critical thinkin, maths and writing sections> which applies to which

and what are the subject tests and how many do you have to do!

x

CR/M/W sections are for the SAT Reasoning Test, which as you said consists of those three areas (total of 9 sections) plus a 25-minute, standard five-paragraph essay.

Subject tests are in individual subjects that you can choose (full list is on College Board). Usually 2, some unis require 3. Check the website of the uni you're interested in.
Reply 45
A little rejuvenation for the thread and a question that I'd think faces many people applying for 2010 entry. This year, AS exams, depending on your course, fall before, between and after the May/June subject tests. Obviously this represents a problem as far as revision for AS and SAT is concerned. Does anyone have a theory as far as maximising performance in all three (SAT I, II, AS) or would it be a better idea to chance it on this go-around and then retake as necessary?

I will probably be applying to some selection of UC schools and maybe also Harvard and Georgetown, so I will be required to take at least 2, probably 3 SAT IIs. My AS course here is Combined English, French, Modern History and Government and Politics, so as a secondary question, which SAT IIs would you recommend taking?
Reply 46
Njjohan
A little rejuvenation for the thread and a question that I'd think faces many people applying for 2010 entry. This year, AS exams, depending on your course, fall before, between and after the May/June subject tests. Obviously this represents a problem as far as revision for AS and SAT is concerned. Does anyone have a theory as far as maximising performance in all three (SAT I, II, AS) or would it be a better idea to chance it on this go-around and then retake as necessary?

I will probably be applying to some selection of UC schools and maybe also Harvard and Georgetown, so I will be required to take at least 2, probably 3 SAT IIs. My AS course here is Combined English, French, Modern History and Government and Politics, so as a secondary question, which SAT IIs would you recommend taking?

Work out your schedule of AS exams - definitely definitely prioritise those above any and all SATs, especially since good module marks are always helpful (may be mentioned in references, gives cushion for A2, etc. but I'm sure you already know that). In your case I think taking subject tests before the Reasoning Test seems like a good idea (as subject tests generally require less revision)...definitely do French and Literature (the French is really easy for A Level people, and for Lit skim an online guide to see the material, format, hoops to jump through, etc.), then if you were good in Maths at GCSE I really recommend the Maths II (NOT Maths I - that's like the TSR equivalent of Sports Studies, for a really bad analogy) subject test; doesn't go beyond limits and generally stays within basic algebra/geometry/trigonometry and it's always good to show balance through subject tests. If you were good at GCSE science that's a good option too, but science SATs take more cramming than Maths :p: So maybe subject tests in May/June (as you'd be revising for French/Lit for AS anyway) and then some studying for the SAT Reasoning which is more hoop-jumping over the summer then taking it in Sep/Oct? Allows for retakes in Nov + Dec; most US unis take the highest score of each section of the SAT Reasoning anyway and retakes are reasonably common (though somewhat expensive).

Good luck :biggrin:
Reply 47
great job
Reply 48
I've stumbled upon a huge problem. I really really want to apply to US (mainly University of Chicago or Stanford), but haven't done any of the SAT II subjects at AS other than Maths. There's no way I can do any preperation till July as I got my AS levels exam.

After June I'm planning to prepare for my SAT I, and the following subject tests:
-Math Level 2
-Biology (have to decide module)
-Physics or World History (which ever is easier)

My first problem is that I can only pull off math as it's the only SAT II subject which i've taken at AS. I only took Biology till IGCSE (international GCSE), so Biology is my second best option. I'm hugely disadvantaged at the third subject as I haven't done either Physics or World History (not even till IGCSE).

1-Which of the subjects Physics or World History would be easier?

2-What would be the expected ideal time frame required to prepare for a SAT I and 3 SAT II's under my disadvantaged condition?

3-Can I write my SAT I in May with little or no preparation and re do it in October if I get a bad grade without Universities being aware of this grade?

4-Is it necessary to take 3 SAT II subjects even though most Universities I intend in applying to only require 2 (I heard that even if the University requires 2 SAT IIs, most applicants submit 3)?

5-Can I substitute an AP for a SAT II subject? I could easily pull of AP Macro and Micro economics, Marketing and Calculus with some effort.
Reply 49
Hi all, im quite confused regarding the difference between SAT and ACT. the collegeboard university/college profile states that "they do accept SAT Reasoning and Subject Tests; or ACT"

so isit possible that i only take the ACT? cause ACT doesnt seem very widespread or well used for US university admissions. or isit advisable to just go ahead and take the SATs instead?

i got 2280 for SAT Reasoning, when i was in year 10 (Dec'05). should i retake it? cause i don know if my results are still valid. is there an expiry date or something?

and finally do IB results have any bearing on US university admissions? or do the universities tend to give heavier emphasis on SAT/ACT, teacher's recommendation and personal essays?

i know it's a lot of questions. but thanks in advance!
Reply 50
how many subject tests do you do?

I'm thinking of Maths II, Biology (molecular), Chemistry.
Hi,
Well I'm going to be taking the SAT exams this year but had a few questions...I take the IB and I was wondering if the SAT plus subject tests would be extremly hard? I am taking the SAT reasoning exam and 3 subject tests :Biology, Chemistry, mathematics level 2

Also I was wondering on what the price would be for me taking these, I posted the fees page link below as I'm a bit confused at what's being priced...would someone mind giving me an estimate from what I've said I was taking....Oh and the results need to be sent to 5 universities

http://www.collegeboard.com/student/testing/sat/calenfees/fees.html
Reply 52
amar09
Well SAT's don't need all THAT much preparation. You can do a bit of review, and there are plenty of courses guaranteeing 200 point rises in grades, (one of which is princetonreiview, and i am enrolled in, would totally recommend) but generally if you do a bit of review and take the test, the best you can hope for is 200 points increase for your second try. SAT II's in particular are easy if you take the same subject as you are studying for ur A levels.

Which princeton review course were you enrolled in? I had a look on their site and there were a few...one was over $2000! :eek3:
Reply 53
mindy123
Which princeton review course were you enrolled in? I had a look on their site and there were a few...one was over $2000! :eek3:

It really all depends on how much you want to spend. A friend of mine spent well over $2000 on test prep and a ridiculous amount of time and effort. Then again, she ended up with a 2370.

I spent $0 on test prep, and no time/effort in studying and ended up with a 2190. Worth it in my opinion. lol

She did end up at Yale though.
Reply 54
mleoni1
It really all depends on how much you want to spend. A friend of mine spent well over $2000 on test prep and a ridiculous amount of time and effort. Then again, she ended up with a 2370.

I spent $0 on test prep, and no time/effort in studying and ended up with a 2190. Worth it in my opinion. lol

Thanks for the reply! Did she get any kind of scholarship for that score? I only ask because if you get a significant scholarship, spending that kind of money is worth it. And btw isn't 2370 only like 30 points off the perfect score?! :eek:

What offers did you get with your score? That is impressive.
Reply 55
mleoni1

And btw, how are you finding durham? I have an offer for a course at the queens campus there.
is it too late to start registering for SATs? as i've had to wait for ages to find out whether it was actually financially possible or me to go to uni in the states.
I registered on the collegeboard website and it says i am registered for the "SAT test", is that the SAT1?
Yes
Reply 59
This is probably a stupid question but.. what exactly is the difference between SAT and GRE? Do you need to take both or just one?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending