The Student Room Group

The SATs--A Short Introduction

Scroll to see replies

anyone have any experience rushing the SAT tests from october-december?
Just missed the june date sor SAT registration, so looks like I'm gonna have to take those ones?
I thought that SAT tests would be offered every month, I've had barely any time for anything due to AS levels, and even making the exam in june wouldn't meant a week of preparation for the SAT test after my AS exams and before 2 more at the end of june.
At least I'd have all of summer to prepare for the tests (yay! lack of acceptance into summer schools!)
Reply 81
Things are a bit unsettled with the SAT registration process at this time.

I interpret the question about "rushing" to mean registering for the test at the test site on the day of the test. This is called "stand-by registration" in College Board parlance. You should know that, whereas in the past this has been an accepted practice (at increased cost and assuming space is available), this practice is being eliminated starting next fall due to test-security concerns. All tests (ACT and SAT) starting next fall will require advanced registration. There will also be changes in the process requiring photo identification. All details of the new process for both U.S. and international testing have yet to be specified.

http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/viewart/20120425/LIFE/304250012/SAT-ACT-add-new-security-measures

Regarding test dates: in my experience it is unusual for the next year's test dates not to be confirmed yet but it seems to be the case this year. If you look at the bottom of this link, http://professionals.collegeboard.com/testing/sat-reasoning/register/test-dates, you'll see a list of "anticipated dates". It is reasonably certain those dates will apply to the UK, too. I suspect that the registration deadlines required by the new process have not yet been determined and so a complete calendar of deadlines and test dates is pending.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Descartesz
Things are a bit unsettled with the SAT registration process at this time.

I interpret the question about "rushing" to mean registering for the test at the test site on the day of the test. This is called "stand-by registration" in College Board parlance. You should know that, whereas in the past this has been an accepted practice (at increased cost and assuming space is available), this practice is being eliminated starting next fall due to test-security concerns. All tests (ACT and SAT) starting next fall will require advanced registration. There will also be changes in the process requiring photo identification. All details of the new process for both U.S. and international testing have yet to be specified.

http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/viewart/20120425/LIFE/304250012/SAT-ACT-add-new-security-measures

Regarding test dates: in my experience it is unusual for the next year's test dates not to be confirmed yet but it seems to be the case this year. If you look at the bottom of this link, http://professionals.collegeboard.com/testing/sat-reasoning/register/test-dates, you'll see a list of "anticipated dates". It is reasonably certain those dates will apply to the UK, too. I suspect that the registration deadlines required by the new process have not yet been determined and so a complete calendar of deadlines and test dates is pending.

Wondered if those test dates are also the same in every centre in UK
Reply 83
Wondered if those test dates are also the same in every centre in UK

Most likely, just as before. But, as I posted, things are in flux right now.
Reply 84
About the ACT (correcting misinformation):

Claims I have seen posted on other threads:

The ACT is accepted by fewer U.S. colleges than the SAT.
False--both tests are accepted everywhere by schools that either require or consider them.

The ACT is less prevalent than the SAT.
False--both tests are now equally prevalent with about 1.6 million testers for each every year.

The ACT is regarded as inferior to the SAT by U.S. colleges.
A perversely persistent falsity. If this was ever true it hasn't been for many years, especially since data-based concordances derived from large pools of co-testers have been established. In truth testers' results on both tests approach correlations of .90 and both tests have about equal "predictive ability" regarding future college success. Nevertheless rumors (for example on College Confidential) continue that there is a "secret" preference for the SAT. I have never seen any reliable evidence to support this and, as research shows, there is no rational basis for it.

So why do these rumors persist? I suggest these reasons:

The ACT format poses questions which seem more straightforward than the puzzle-like questions of the SAT. Students experiencing both tests perceive the former as "easier". Moreover there is no "guessing penalty" on the ACT so "bubbling-out" answers to questions not understood or unread poses no risk. But the ACT also tends to be more time-constrained than the SAT so the need to respond more quickly balances out the reduced need to read carefully.

The ACT main score is the composite score -- an integral average of its four sections (rounded up on the half). This makes for more top scores of 36 (about 700) than on the SAT top total score of 2400 on its three sections (about 400). Of course if the top ACT score was presented as a sum-of-scores rather than an average, the top score being 144, it would be rarer than the SAT 2400.

The SAT is more prevalent in the areas in the regions where most of the most exclusive schools are found--in the coastal states. Students in these areas tend to discuss college ambitions more frequently than in the those in the interior states and post more often on college-discussion sites. Their regional prejudices, thus, tend to predominate.

My recommendation would be that UK students interested in U.S. study give both tests equal regard. Indeed, the ACT has some advantages as some schools (such as Yale) will accept it in lieu of both the SAT reasoning and subject tests. The last time I looked into the matter it did appear that ACT sites in the UK were fewer than SAT sites, but those for whom it is convenient should not slight the ACT.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 85
International SAT dates for 2012-13 are now available:

http://sat.collegeboard.org/register/sat-international-dates

October 6 (register by September 7, August 28 through rep)
November 3 (register by October 4, September 25 through rep)
December 1 (register by November 1, October 23 through rep)
January 26 (register by December 28, December 18 through rep)
May 4 (register by April 5, March 26 through rep)
June 1 (register by May 2, April 23 through rep)

Note the new guidelines requiring advance submission of a photograph:
http://sat.collegeboard.org/register/photo-requirements

Also note that stand-by registration is no longer possible. Late registrants should investigate waitlist registration: Wait-List Registration

Missed the deadline? Learn about wait-list status.

Standby test-taking is not permitted. If you miss the last registration deadline, or if your paper registration has been returned unprocessed without enough time to resubmit it, you may be able to go online to request a wait-list status. This status may be available from the last registration deadline up until five days before test day. Unregistered individuals will not be admitted to the test center under any circumstances. Test registration on test day at the test center is not available.

http://sat.collegeboard.org/register/how-to-register

ACT has international test dates posted but has not yet posted new registration procedures.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by forpolarbears
It's that time of year again and there are a lot of SAT related questions.

Basics: The SAT Reasoning

1. What is the SAT?
The SAT is a college admissions test administered by the College Board, a company with its hands in a large chunk of the American education system. The SAT consists of three main sections: Reading, Writing and 'Rithmetic. A good starting place is here. Yes, you can use a calculator on the SAT Math, and I always used a scientific.

2. When is it offered? How much will it cost?

here

3. When should I take it during my schooling?
The SAT should preferably, if possible, be taken first in the spring of the year you will apply to university, ie, the spring of the year before your planned entrance into university. This way, you can gauge your performance and figure out any way you can make improvements before you re-take it (most likely before December) right as you are making your applications.

4. Still interested? Want to register?

Registration

CEEB Country Codes for Registration

5. How do I send my scores to universities?
When you register for the SAT, you will be able to select several universities for free. If you don't know in May or June when you first take the exam, don't bother, all your scores will be sent when you retake (or if you're extremely lucky & don't retake, when you take your SAT IIs). Until a certain period after the test, you can add more universities or change the ones you have already listed. However, after that pre-set time frame, you will have to pay to send the scores. If this is the case, make sure you do it early, as sending your scores rush delivery is needless to say, a cash cow.

What's Next?

The SAT Subject Tests aka the SAT II

1. What is the SAT II?
The SAT Subject tests are a battery of tests available in subjects either neglected on the SAT Reasoning or not covered in great deal. The SAT comes into play in competitive admissions.

2. What subjects are offered? When can I take them

Subject Test Calendar

English
Literature

History
U.S. History (formerly American History and Social Studies)
World History**

Maths
Mathematics Level 1 (formerly Mathematics IC) *
Mathematics Level 2 (formerly Mathematics IIC)

Science:
Biology E/M
Chemistry
Physics

Languages
Chinese with Listening**
French
French with Listening**
German
German with Listening**
Spanish
Spanish with Listening**
Modern Hebrew
Italian **
Latin **
Japanese with Listening**
Korean with Listening**

* The SAT II Math I is not considered of a high enough level for most universities and is thus not accepted.
** Generally offered less dates.

What SAT IIs should I take if I want to _________?

First off, in the US, the actual concentration is generally not as important, so take what you will do best at, not what you think the department you might want to study in will like.

However, for a basic guide:

Arts/Humanities/Social Sciences
Literature, A Language, History, Math IIC, perhaps a science to show variety

Science/Pre-Med
Math IIC, Literature, Sciences

Taking something outside your presumed speciality is a GOOD thing. Keep that in mind, especially as US universities favor general education and studying a multitude of subjects, so expressing different interests and skills in SAT IIs is a good thing.

How to prepare?

I for the most part have never studied for SATs besides occasionally looking at tests on Collegeboard's site (linked above), where there are lots of sample questions and practice tests that you can download and use. However, I have used products by Princeton Review and Kaplan for other tests, and have found them extremely helpful.

Almost done!

So, what should my actual plan of action be?
I personally would recommend taking the SAT subjects in May or June, whatever month you are not taking the SAT (but April would be a very good month to take the SAT), and when you won't feel overwhelmed by AS levels or whatever qualification you are pursuing (though, all that revision could be helpful right when you take the SATs, so if you're up for it, I'd consider it). Then, in October, retake the SAT, and in November or December, any additional SAT IIs.

Wait, but what if I'm starting my A2s and still want to take SATs/apply to university in the US, what should I do?
Nope, its not too late. You just might have the slight disadvantage of only being able to take the SAT once, and have to rush to take the SAT IIs. A good plan of action would be to:

-figure out a list of about 20 universities you are at all interested in
-cut it down to about 15 that you could actually see yourself attending for 3 to 4 years (you will most likely receive some advanced standing for A level or IB exams)
-take a look at the application processes for the universities on your list
-cut your list down to a more manageable number, considering the work you'll have to be doing alongside applications/UCAS app/A levels or IB
-take the SAT I in October
-take SAT IIs in November
-if necessary, retake the SAT I in December

Want to avoid the SAT?
Universities that don't require the SAT

Sorry, I was inspired when my best friend and I had a very interesting conversation over coffee with some random boys who wanted to know all about applying to college. Hope this helps :smile:

Comments and further questions?

HEY!
Thank you so much for this information. It is so helpful! I just wanted to ask, do you think that the SAT 1 is more like an IQ test compared to a General exam?
Original post by CurtisDean
HEY!
Thank you so much for this information. It is so helpful! I just wanted to ask, do you think that the SAT 1 is more like an IQ test compared to a General exam?

Hey, American here-

I'd say the Writing section test your basic knowledge of grammer and essay structure, simple stuff to learn over if you aren't too good at it right now. The Math section is pretty simple maths for the most part, with the occasional curveball question, probably the easiest to pull an 800 on. The Reading section is probably the part that most challenges your IQ since theres no formula or set of rules to remember like the other two sections.

Just some advice for anyone who minds it, sleep plenty before the test day and avoid getting sucked into a depressed anxious mood by the other test takers who will likely be panicking and cramming.
Original post by Descartesz
About the ACT (correcting misinformation):

Claims I have seen posted on other threads:

The ACT is accepted by fewer U.S. colleges than the SAT.
False--both tests are accepted everywhere by schools that either require or consider them.

The ACT is less prevalent than the SAT.
False--both tests are now equally prevalent with about 1.6 million testers for each every year.

The ACT is regarded as inferior to the SAT by U.S. colleges.
A perversely persistent falsity. If this was ever true it hasn't been for many years, especially since data-based concordances derived from large pools of co-testers have been established. In truth testers' results on both tests approach correlations of .90 and both tests have about equal "predictive ability" regarding future college success. Nevertheless rumors (for example on College Confidential) continue that there is a "secret" preference for the SAT. I have never seen any reliable evidence to support this and, as research shows, there is no rational basis for it.

So why do these rumors persist? I suggest these reasons:

The ACT format poses questions which seem more straightforward than the puzzle-like questions of the SAT. Students experiencing both tests perceive the former as "easier". Moreover there is no "guessing penalty" on the ACT so "bubbling-out" answers to questions not understood or unread poses no risk. But the ACT also tends to be more time-constrained than the SAT so the need to respond more quickly balances out the reduced need to read carefully.

The ACT main score is the composite score -- an integral average of its four sections (rounded up on the half). This makes for more top scores of 36 (about 700) than on the SAT top total score of 2400 on its three sections (about 400). Of course if the top ACT score was presented as a sum-of-scores rather than an average, the top score being 144, it would be rarer than the SAT 2400.

The SAT is more prevalent in the areas in the regions where most of the most exclusive schools are found--in the coastal states. Students in these areas tend to discuss college ambitions more frequently than in the those in the interior states and post more often on college-discussion sites. Their regional prejudices, thus, tend to predominate.

My recommendation would be that UK students interested in U.S. study give both tests equal regard. Indeed, the ACT has some advantages as some schools (such as Yale) will accept it in lieu of both the SAT reasoning and subject tests. The last time I looked into the matter it did appear that ACT sites in the UK were fewer than SAT sites, but those for whom it is convenient should not slight the ACT.

just an addition to your point- some kids in the states avoid the ACT because 1. its much more punishing for mistakes and 2. the SAT has been the more traditional route until recently. Also from my experience there's a lot more bragging rights to the SAT simply because theres more variation in even the elite range of scores (2200-2400), whereas in the ACT its basically 34-36.
Reply 89
I've just got back my results back from the December SAT and I'm a bit disappointed with my maths score - my reading and writing scores were high, but my maths was only 690. As I'm taking maths and further maths at A level, this looks kinda bad, so I think I'm going to have to retake it. Do you have any tips for the maths section? When I was practising, it was always the section I found the hardest - I could never get my head round all the logic puzzles.
Original post by Zyborg
I've just got back my results back from the December SAT and I'm a bit disappointed with my maths score - my reading and writing scores were high, but my maths was only 690. As I'm taking maths and further maths at A level, this looks kinda bad, so I think I'm going to have to retake it. Do you have any tips for the maths section? When I was practising, it was always the section I found the hardest - I could never get my head round all the logic puzzles.

don't rush. If you're in further maths, you are smart enough to take your time to read each question thoroughly and carefully and still have 5 minutes to go over everything. I think its better to go slow the first time around than have lots of review time, because we rarely catch our mistakes upon review and under pressure.
Reply 91
where can I take the test, if I currently study in Worksop, near Nottingham in UK?
Reply 92
Original post by forpolarbears

What SAT IIs should I take if I want to _________?

First off, in the US, the actual concentration is generally not as important, so take what you will do best at, not what you think the department you might want to study in will like.

Taking something outside your presumed speciality is a GOOD thing. Keep that in mind, especially as US universities favor general education and studying a multitude of subjects, so expressing different interests and skills in SAT IIs is a good thing.

Actually, the opposite is true. You want to show your strengths by the Subject tests you take so yes, take what you will do best at. However, going outside that might not be a good idea. You can read more about it here.
HELP - Finding a centre to sit SAT II tests

Hi all, I really need to sort this out as I have to register before the deadline 8/11.

My school are not a centre and so I have to find one where I can sit the test. However I reside in Coventry and I believe the only school that offer it in the district is Rugby School which is a boarding school.

So I really nice advice/assistance on what to do as I really need to register soon. Do I email local schools and ask them for availability or can I just say I will sit it at that centre through collegeboard.

Thanks
Reply 94
Original post by REASON_Lighters
HELP - Finding a centre to sit SAT II tests

Hi all, I really need to sort this out as I have to register before the deadline 8/11.

My school are not a centre and so I have to find one where I can sit the test. However I reside in Coventry and I believe the only school that offer it in the district is Rugby School which is a boarding school.

So I really nice advice/assistance on what to do as I really need to register soon. Do I email local schools and ask them for availability or can I just say I will sit it at that centre through collegeboard.

Thanks

As far as I know you need to register online. I don't think you can just show up at a center without registering. However, check the website. Otherwise, you might have to travel further away to take the test (after registering, of course).
Original post by apple32
As far as I know you need to register online. I don't think you can just show up at a center without registering. However, check the website. Otherwise, you might have to travel further away to take the test (after registering, of course).

Yep I have to sit them at Cambridge bit of a trek lol, thanks for your help.
Hey i am quite short of time and i don't think i can take SAT subject tests. If this is such a great factor i am considering retaking the year. The thing is, I don't get what subject tests i have to take if i want to major economics. It would be grear if somebody could answer my question.
I've registered online to take the SAT at a nearby school here in Scotland. Do I need to contact that school at all or do I just need to turn up on test day with id etc.?
Original post by 5hyl33n
I wish I could take the SATs. They are so easy compared to A-Levels (which are the equivalent of getting into university). Are the whole exam multiple choice?

as common sense should tell you, easy merely means higher grade boundaries and thus a huge penalty for one small error here and there. you have to correct almost every. single. time.
Original post by 5hyl33n
Very true. Good luck with your SATs.

Hi all. I was born and raised in London and go to Columbia on a full-ride. I created a resource to help people like myself, it's called 'How to Get into US unis'. DM me and I'll share it with you! All free, just wanna help as many people as possible

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending