The Student Room Group

The SATs--A Short Introduction

[FH Note: As of June 2021, the SAT II Subject Tests have been discontinued by CollegeBoard and no universities will require them. It is also worth noting that, while most of the information in this thread is still relevant, the SAT format has changed since this thread was made - for the most up to date information on test format and dates, always check the official CollegeBoard website]

It's that time of year again and there are a lot of SAT related questions.

Basics: The SAT Reasoning

1. What is the SAT?
The SAT is a college admissions test administered by the College Board, a company with its hands in a large chunk of the American education system. The SAT consists of three main sections: Reading, Writing and 'Rithmetic. A good starting place is here. Yes, you can use a calculator on the SAT Math, and I always used a scientific.

2. When is it offered? How much will it cost?

here

3. When should I take it during my schooling?
The SAT should preferably, if possible, be taken first in the spring of the year you will apply to university, ie, the spring of the year before your planned entrance into university. This way, you can gauge your performance and figure out any way you can make improvements before you re-take it (most likely before December) right as you are making your applications.

4. Still interested? Want to register?

Registration

CEEB Country Codes for Registration

5. How do I send my scores to universities?
When you register for the SAT, you will be able to select several universities for free. If you don't know in May or June when you first take the exam, don't bother, all your scores will be sent when you retake (or if you're extremely lucky & don't retake, when you take your SAT IIs). Until a certain period after the test, you can add more universities or change the ones you have already listed. However, after that pre-set time frame, you will have to pay to send the scores. If this is the case, make sure you do it early, as sending your scores rush delivery is needless to say, a cash cow.

What's Next?

The SAT Subject Tests aka the SAT II

1. What is the SAT II?
The SAT Subject tests are a battery of tests available in subjects either neglected on the SAT Reasoning or not covered in great deal. The SAT comes into play in competitive admissions.

2. What subjects are offered? When can I take them

Subject Test Calendar

English
Literature

History
U.S. History (formerly American History and Social Studies)
World History**

Maths
Mathematics Level 1 (formerly Mathematics IC) *
Mathematics Level 2 (formerly Mathematics IIC)

Science:
Biology E/M
Chemistry
Physics

Languages
Chinese with Listening**
French
French with Listening**
German
German with Listening**
Spanish
Spanish with Listening**
Modern Hebrew
Italian **
Latin **
Japanese with Listening**
Korean with Listening**

* The SAT II Math I is not considered of a high enough level for most universities and is thus not accepted.
** Generally offered less dates.

What SAT IIs should I take if I want to _________?

First off, in the US, the actual concentration is generally not as important, so take what you will do best at, not what you think the department you might want to study in will like.

However, for a basic guide:

Arts/Humanities/Social Sciences
Literature, A Language, History, Math IIC, perhaps a science to show variety

Science/Pre-Med
Math IIC, Literature, Sciences

Taking something outside your presumed speciality is a GOOD thing. Keep that in mind, especially as US universities favor general education and studying a multitude of subjects, so expressing different interests and skills in SAT IIs is a good thing.

How to prepare?

I for the most part have never studied for SATs besides occasionally looking at tests on Collegeboard's site (linked above), where there are lots of sample questions and practice tests that you can download and use. However, I have used products by Princeton Review and Kaplan for other tests, and have found them extremely helpful.

Almost done!

So, what should my actual plan of action be?
I personally would recommend taking the SAT subjects in May or June, whatever month you are not taking the SAT (but April would be a very good month to take the SAT), and when you won't feel overwhelmed by AS levels or whatever qualification you are pursuing (though, all that revision could be helpful right when you take the SATs, so if you're up for it, I'd consider it). Then, in October, retake the SAT, and in November or December, any additional SAT IIs.

Wait, but what if I'm starting my A2s and still want to take SATs/apply to university in the US, what should I do?
Nope, its not too late. You just might have the slight disadvantage of only being able to take the SAT once, and have to rush to take the SAT IIs. A good plan of action would be to:

-figure out a list of about 20 universities you are at all interested in
-cut it down to about 15 that you could actually see yourself attending for 3 to 4 years (you will most likely receive some advanced standing for A level or IB exams)
-take a look at the application processes for the universities on your list
-cut your list down to a more manageable number, considering the work you'll have to be doing alongside applications/UCAS app/A levels or IB
-take the SAT I in October
-take SAT IIs in November
-if necessary, retake the SAT I in December

Want to avoid the SAT?
Universities that don't require the SAT

Sorry, I was inspired when my best friend and I had a very interesting conversation over coffee with some random boys who wanted to know all about applying to college. Hope this helps :smile:

Comments and further questions?
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

That's one of the best posts I have read in a long long time. :congrats:
Reply 2
Great post. Should it be a sticky?
Thanks. I think to become a sticky someone needs to post report it, so if someone would do me the favor, that would be great. I might do something for applying to US university (and possibly Canadian as well) by Common app/specific later this week; I have a TON of restless energy as I leave for university next Saturday.
Reply 4
megx
Thanks. I think to become a sticky someone needs to post report it, so if someone would do me the favor, that would be great. I might do something for applying to US university (and possibly Canadian as well) by Common app/specific later this week; I have a TON of restless energy as I leave for university next Saturday.

That would be great "megx" since it is an almost impossibility to get through that as an international student, at least I think so. It would have been so much easier to apply through commonapp if you actually had studied in USA previously. But finding the compulsory "CEED" code (or something like that) for your school, when your school is not even listed is not that easy, trust me!:s-smilie:
itzhak
That would be great "megx" since it is an almost impossibility to get through that as an international student, at least I think so. It would have been so much easier to apply through commonapp if you actually had studied in USA previously. But finding the compulsory "CEED" code (or something like that) for your school, when your school is not even listed is not that easy, trust me!:s-smilie:

Will do. I think you mean the CEEB code (College Board something or other), and it appears that international students use the country code, not any specific school. Check here. Hope that helps :smile:

(& added link + few other questions to original post)
Reply 6
Is it really true that Maths Level 1 is not accepted by most universities?
Reply 7
nickybol

I recall reading that it isn't rigorous or difficult enough to be useful, especially when there's a Maths II.
nickybol

It depends.. Some schools such as MIT will actually accept the Maths Level 1, while others (Stanford?) won't. Actually, if you have a good maths background, you should take maths level 2 because the curve is much more generous. It is very easy to get 800 (maximum score) on the level 2, but not so much on the level 1.
Reply 9
I find the work load at A-level quite tough...does anybody have any advice as to how to balance studying for the SATs (i havent started yet...don't know where to start!) and A-levels? I want to take the SATs in June or October 08 since I'm applying for entry to uni in 2009. :smile:
You taking the reasoning test, or subjects aswell.
Reply 11
The reasoning test is my first priority...if I get time to do subject tests, I'd probably do English Literature and maybe a science, say Biology. But the reasoning test is a must :smile:
Reply 12
Here is a useful link with reliable but not guaranteed information about SAT II tests:

http://www.compassprep.com/admissions_req_subjects.aspx

Please verify the information at the website of the school of interest (a convenient link is provided when the school's table entry is expanded on the page).

Most US colleges and universities do not require SAT II (Subject) tests, but many of the most selective ones do. In particular, most public universities do not require SAT II tests, with the noteable exception of those schools in the University of California System, which require two.

Currently, only three schools require three tests: Harvard, Princeton, and Georgetown. There are also a few universities that specify a third exam, Math Level II, for entry into engineering divisions within the university.

Some schools (such as Yale) accept the ACT by itself as an alternative to the SAT II subject tests. (The ACT's testing style is a little closer to direct subject knowlege rather than abstract reasoning).

Contrary to some remarks on this thread, the SAT Math Level I subject test is usually acceptable as one of these tests although, as noted, the "curve" on the test is much tighter (typically raw score of 49/50 to get an 800, vs. 44/50 for the Math Level II exam). But, of course, if you intend to pursue a quantitative field (science or technology), quantitative reasoning skills are better demonstrated by the Math Level II. And some schools, such as CalTech, do indeed specify that Math Level II must be taken.
Reply 13
It is also worth noting that all colleges and universities that require the SAT now accept the ACT, too. There is no preference for either test. Indeed, some schools will accept the ACT by itself as an alternative to both the SAT Reasoning and Subject tests.

International test sites for the ACT:

http://www.actstudent.org/regist/outside.html

Most students find the ACT to be a little more direct in its questions, less "IQ" based and more "knowledge" based, in comparison to the SAT, and some testers find better results with it.

The test has four sections: English, Math, Reading, and Science, with an optional Writing section (which is required by most selective schools if ACT scores are submitted).

Each section (with the exception of Writing) is scored on a maximum scale of 36. A composite score, the average of all 4 sections, is also provided in the tester's results.

Unlike the SAT, wrong answers are not penalized, so a wild guess is an acceptable strategy on any question

The Science section does not test specific subject knowledge but, instead, the ability to interpret charts, graphs, and other means of displaying quantified data.

The test, even with the optional writing section, is somewhat shorter than the SAT (a little over three hours).

SAT - ACT equivalency table:

http://www.act.org/aap/concordance/estimate.html
I have just done my first full length timed SAT practice test. I find that i cant concentrate for 3 straight hours :frown: How do you guys do it? Any advise?
Reply 15
Yes, there are two short breaks in the SAT test, and between sections there is also about a minute rest.
How long are the two breaks? And are they after each hour?
Reply 17
The first one, if I remember correctly is after 1 hour or 1.5 hour. I think it was 10 minutes. The second one is somewhere after the seventh or eigth section and is just a one-minute stretch break.
Reply 18
Do the american universities make you take both the SAT reasoning tests and some SAT II exams to be considered or if you are taking A Levels here is the basic SAT enough? Also, whereabouts can you take the SAT in London?
It is me again :redface: Does anyone know whether you can change/ register for new subjects on SAT II on the test day itself? (if your are already registered for other 2 subjects on the same day)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending