The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Well, I've done AS AQA Physics A (have done chemistry too, but that was OCR) and I found it enjoyable. The first module is a basic intro to particle physics and other things like light and the photoelectric effect. The second module is mechanics with all the usual like Newtons laws and such. The third module is electricity and some other things like specific heat capacity and young modulus.

In terms of difficulty, I thought it was the most difficult of my subjects and I took AS+A2 maths, AS chemistry, and AS computing alongside it. The calculations are easy, but I don't think I ever got a complete understanding of the theory and found myself just trying to memorize past paper questions and answers. xD

Still though, if you enjoyed physics at GCSE, you'll probably enjoy the AS. It's interesting and not too difficult if you can understand the theory. ^_^
Chemistry AS is very easy. Quite a bit to memorise on the third module but other than that, i don't see any problems with it at all. It does get a lot harder quite suddenly at A2 if you're considering the full A level- just a warning.
Reply 3
Thanks for the qwick replys, how hards the mathamatics used in these subjects?
Reply 4
Hi,
I did biology & chemistry OCR. to be honest, considering they were my weakest subjects at GCSE, i think they've been pretty managable.
Im sure with your predictions at GCSE, you should find them fine, as long as you're willing to put a decent amount of effort & time into them.

Though im not very good at sciences, i have found the a/s syllabus very interesting, especially for chemistry. If you have an interest for the subjects im sure you'll do fine, i think if anyone puts their mind to it, they could achieve a fair grade.

Good luck in you decisions! (& GCSE results!)

The maths content for biology was very little, & simple, for chemistry there's much more, slightly more difficult, but like has already been said, theres a fair bit of memorising, the calcs are quite essential & must be memorised!
Reply 5
I did Bio...but with AQA.
I did Chem on AQA and its ok. I found it a bit hard at first but then you get used to it and the learning you have to do. Things like mechanisms u jsut need to drill inot yourself...

am i the only one that thinks module 2 is the hardest? (minus this summers paper)
Reply 7
*bump*

Surely more people took these subjects?:s-smilie:
I did OCR Biology, I found it really hard overall and it was my most difficult subject. The module that I found the easiest/least challenging was Human Health and Disease. The Foundation module was the hardest.
Reply 9
JordanSHowarth
Thanks for the qwick replys, how hards the mathamatics used in these subjects?

GCSE maths is more than enough for the level of maths needed in AS sciences. For physics, the most math you'll need is being able to substitute and rearrange equations, and some very basic trig. If you're comfortable with maths at GCSE, you'll be fine.
Reply 10
Hmm, i certainly enjoy maths, but it's not my best of subjects. I took the intermediate tier and i'm oping for a 'B' grade? Will this hinder my ability to achieve the top grades in these science specifications, as i'm aware some are more maths intensive than others.
Reply 11
Pepe Le Poosh
am i the only one that thinks module 2 is the hardest? (minus this summers paper)

Yeah I reckon Mod 2 is the hardest...much prefer the organic mechanisms stuff
I took AS AQA A Chemistry. I found it quite difficult with A*A* at double science GCSE but that was due to my own laziness.

You cannot, leave things you don't understand and think, I will revise it later. Or skive lessons or miss homework, not that i am expecting you intend to, it's just an easy pattern to fall into.

You must get your head around it first time, or revision won't be revision and then you will fail. Believe me, I have done exactly that. Understand and revisit as you go along. Do past papers, and you will be fine. It does take a fair bit of time to get just right.i.e A grade, but you should be fine.

I don't suppose it helped that my chemistry teacher wasn't qualified to teach A level.

It is a really interesting great subject to do though :biggrin:

Now I have to take my own advice ready for three retakes come January lol :s-smilie:
Reply 13
JordanSHowarth
Hmm, i certainly enjoy maths, but it's not my best of subjects. I took the intermediate tier and i'm oping for a 'B' grade? Will this hinder my ability to achieve the top grades in these science specifications, as i'm aware some are more maths intensive than others.

I'm pretty sure you'll be fine. I wasn't aware of the differences between boards, but for physics AQA A at least, there isn't that much maths. A 'B' at intermediate would probably be enough and you still could get an A. The theory is far more challenging than the maths.
I did AQA chemistry and it was my easiest subject - AQA publish all past papers with mark schemes on the internet and they very rarely change their style or oder of questioning. So, if you memorise the markschemes and get to grips with the mechanisms in module 3, it is simple to get an A. I found it more of a 'jumping through hoopes' subject since you had to have the definitions like they were in the markschemes to get a mark. Having said that, it definately steps up a gear at A2 and there is a lot more maths involved.

THe maths used is *very* basic at AS. As long as you can rearrange simple equations and use the power keys, you'll be fine!
Reply 15
I did OCR biology, after doin A2 bio, AS is fine. The first foundation mdule is simple its the basics. But you hav to learn a lot for the second module, I remember spending my whole christmas revising for it when I did a retake. The thrid module, Transport is OK, its combined with coursework/practical so you should try to get maximum marks in those. Overall AS bio is just quick learning and understandin. you hav to beable to apply the knowlegde, cos they tend to ask quite a lot of 'suggest' questions which i always mess up on.
I found A2 bio really hard espcially the synoptic, theres so much to learn than AS which is why its better to get as much marks as possible in AS.

For chemistry I did OCR so i'm sry I can't help you there.
Reply 16
Could any body suggest any further reading, which would aid my studies of any of the three science subjects, this comming september. Just a breif overview maybe, or some maths help?
Reply 17
JordanSHowarth
Could any body suggest any further reading, which would aid my studies of any of the three science subjects, this comming september. Just a breif overview maybe, or some maths help?

hey, im not a A level student yet but i am starting them in september, if you think you will get a B in maths at intermediate then i think the maths side of thngs will be fine, as for the subjects you are doing i suppose you can do what i have done which is buy the books that you need and briefly look at them. im also doing aqa chem next year, i suggest you go on amazon and type in 'collins AQA chem' and find the textbook and the single unit books and if possible order them, this also applies to aqa physics and im sure you'll be able to find ocr books aswel. alternatively, you could buy 'cgp Head start' books for each of your subjects and read them, these books fill the gap between gcse's and A levels and ensure you hit the ground running come september, plus they ony cost about a fiver.

if your still worried about the maths side of things (which i think you shouldnt be cos a B at gcse is more than good enough) you can revise a bit of maths in these hols, you would only have to revise rearranging equations, basic trig and a little bit of geometry for physics.

hope ive helped:smile: :smile:
Reply 18
Much appreciated!:wink:
Don't suppose you'd like to exchange MSN addresses, so that we can communicate and help each other this year when start Chemistry this september?
I did OCR biology; I agree that after doing A2 you find that AS is really quite simple. I'm not one of the highest achievers, but even so I found the Foundation and Human Health and Disease modules pretty straight forward, and it also helped that we sat the H+D module in January.

Transport however I found rather difficult, but work throughout the year using past papers and whatnot and you should be fine :smile:

Latest