Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Interview with a great company, however I live a distance away

Announcements Posted on
Would YOU be put off a uni with a high crime rate? First 50 to have their say get a £5 Amazon voucher! 27-10-2016

I am a very keen applicant for the role and it's like the closest thing to my 'dream job', however, the firm is like a good 1 and a half commute via public transport. Realistically it isn't at all that far, if I drove, I could be there in half that time but I don't.

Despite this, I am still keen to commute for the time been and have indicated to the employer that I am committed to either learning to drive or potentially relocating. I told the employer that should I be successful I would be initially commuting via train for the time been however would strongly consider getting my license.

How likely is this to affect my chances?

It's enough that I'm worrying about interviewing let alone distance.

It probably won't affect your chances. They want the best person for the job and are probably less worried about how you get there at the moment. If it comes up at interview it sounds like you've thought it through enough to give a reasonable answer. Lots of people relocate or travel for work.

(Original post by alleycat393)
    It probably won't affect your chances. They want the best person for the job and are probably less worried about how you get there at the moment. If it comes up at interview it sounds like you've thought it through enough to give a reasonable answer. Lots of people relocate or travel for work.
    I mean the reason it concerns me is the HR lady mentioned it twice in her email. Initially, asking me to send her a rough estimate of the daily commute I said it was upto 1hr 45m dependent on mode of transport, and, in our later correspondence she later stated please consider again also the commute and whether its feasible.

So I kind of took it in a negative slant. I am however prepared to learn to drive upon getting the role (if I do).

Ok then you have to convince them that you are not only the best person for the job but also willing to go the extra mile (literally) to work there.

It might be a problem if the job requires flexibility (e.g. in coming in at late notice if a top client needs something), travel even further away from your base, flexibility to travel via personal transport, or requires working long hours. So it could be a problem if you're looking at banking or law for example.

If you get asked in interview, you can always deflect the question by saying something like e.g. 'the commute will be manageable for me' or mention whether you've commuted for roles in the past and therefore are used to it (I've done this before). Unless there is a good reason (like those above) why the long commute will be a problem I personally don't think it should be a fair question for an employer to hold against you. A lot of people I know who work in London live at home/outside London and commute for an hour or more for work. It's not unusual at all. You'd be within your right to ask HR if there's a reason why they think a long commute might be an issue (but better worded), then you can target your explanation to target whatever concerns the employer has (it may just be that they're worried you'll get bored/tired of the commute and leave after a few months).

If an employer doesn't ask, it's because they don't care how you get to work. However, if they do ask, especially so early in the process, then they do care. The only acceptable answer is an immediate, confident solution either 'I'd relocate' or 'I'd drive'. Faffing with 'I'd probably do this or that' is a problem and wasn't the right answer to give.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 8, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

I want...
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.