The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

anewton91
im off to do my PRTC tomorrow, and im surprised the fitness standards in press ups and sit ups are lower that the PJFT!!

Maybe lower, but they are to the Royal Air Forces Standard, which is alot higher than that of the Gym that is running the PJFT, which to be honest is poor and misleading.
The PTI's will give you a full demonstration of the standard expected and will discount any that do not meet that standard. There is a full explanation of the form in your Joining Instructions. Press Ups is the one area where we loose most of our PRTC candidates.
Reply 41
Inch High DI
Maybe lower, but they are to the Royal Air Forces Standard, which is alot higher than that of the Gym that is running the PJFT, which to be honest is poor and misleading.
The PTI's will give you a full demonstration of the standard expected and will discount any that do not meet that standard. There is a full explanation of the form in your Joining Instructions. Press Ups is the one area where we loose most of our PRTC candidates.

Even doing 4 press ups? (or is it 7? either way.. low number)
Reply 42
Naigan
Is this for the PJFT, or for the fitness at PRTC?

Also, is the run on ground, or on a treadmill?

This is for the PJFT, and the run is on a treadmill
Reply 43
jnr668
This is for the PJFT, and the run is on a treadmill

Then you'll easily get through with those numbers, although you should aim to improve your running time and sit ups in a minute (although this may be down to your rib), either way you'll still pass.
Reply 44
Are these press ups close grip (arms tucked under shoulders bending in line with body) or wide, (slightly wider than shoulders bending out)? I can do wide easy but close grip seem to be a natural movement for me, my shoulder actually clicked lol. Sorry if this is a stupid question.
Reply 45
That's a question that's been asked and answered many times on here.

Press ups are now down with hands under the shoulders, so yes the arms are slightly tucked in.
Reply 46
Regarding the above few posts, the recommended way of making sure your hands are in the right place, is to start your push ups lying on the floor (rather then get in to position then go down-up-down etc) and simply place your hands underneath your shoulders and then push up, and DO NOT move your hands to a more comfortable position (so you'll be starting your push ups going up-down-up).

As stated, hands should be slightly closer than normal push ups, so get practising using this method, as it places more strain on the triceps than the chest compared to general push ups.
Reply 47
Naigan
Regarding the above few posts, the recommended way of making sure your hands are in the right place, is to start your push ups lying on the floor (rather then get in to position then go down-up-down etc) and simply place your hands underneath your shoulders and then push up, and DO NOT move your hands to a more comfortable position (so you'll be starting your push ups going up-down-up).

As stated, hands should be slightly closer than normal push ups, so get practising using this method, as it places more strain on the triceps than the chest compared to general push ups.

Excellent suggestion Naigan. Maybe it'll stop the repeated questions on push-ups for 5 minutes.

Like the new avatar too by the way :p:
Reply 48
LukeThomas
Excellent suggestion Naigan. Maybe it'll stop the repeated questions on push-ups for 5 minutes.

Like the new avatar too by the way :p:

We can hope, and thanks, thought it was time I grabbed a random avatar, I spend enough time on these forums :biggrin:
Reply 49
The PTI's at Halton will let you know the correct technique regarding press ups
Hi there guys, I can do 22 in 35 seconds is this good?
Original post by 11dstephenson
Hi there guys, I can do 22 in 35 seconds is this good?

It's a good start!

If you can do 40+ in a minute you'll be in light-blue for RAF fitness test standards.

Make sure you can do it straight after a 1.5 mile run or bleep test though.
(edited 8 years ago)
I'm 16F and I'm 5'5 1/2I'm worried that I won't be able to even do 1 push up let alone 10 I've watched videos and I've practiced but every time I do I get heartburnAny advice?

Latest