The Student Room Group

Pill vs Injection?

So I've been on the pill for about a year and a half now and I've switched multiple times as every different one I've been on has given me terrible mood swings and has made my depression a lot worse. After switching a few times I kind of just gave up with trying new pills. Part of me thought it was just how I was mentally and that the pills weren't the thing making me bad. :frown: When I'm taking my week off the pill, I can quite strongly feel the mental difference.

Anyhow, after seeing the recent studies proving that the pill is strongly linked to depression, I've been thinking about getting the injection instead. Obviously the injection is a lot simpler as you only have to worry about it every couple of months as opposed to every day, but that isn't my issue.

I was just wondering if any of you guys have any experiences with switching to the injection as opposed to being on the pill?

Also, just to add, my boyfriend uses condoms every time we have sex but even despite us doubling up on contraceptives, I worry about getting pregnant so I don't particularly want to ditch my half of the contraception.
That 'pill depression' story is crap - the study had no control group and the people behind it are pushing their own contraceptive / fertility method.

If you've had problems with even progesterone-only pills, having the injection would be a really bad idea: you'll probably be stuck with the side-effects for months.

You could look at the copper IUD and fertility awareness, amongst others, as alternative additions to the condoms.

Quick Reply

Latest