Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Is social liberalism essentially over, or am I going to far ahead as of yet?

Announcements Posted on
Would YOU be put off a uni with a high crime rate? First 50 to have their say get a £5 Amazon voucher! 27-10-2016

I'm French, certainly a social liberal, Oxbridge graduate. I have used TSR some years ago when applying to the UK but yeah it was an entirely different place back then. This topic could go under 'International', 'Philosophy', 'Current affairs' etc but I have decided that 'Society' would be most appropriate.

My question is: would you go as far as agreeing with the statement that Social Liberalism is essentially over giving the:

1) Trump phenomenon - if he wins then it is official

2) Brexit and the growing English nationalism, essentially silencing the social liberalism of cosmopolitan Londoners and others

3) Growing nationalism across the continent in the context of the refugee crisis

4) Stripping Westerns citizens out of civil liberties in the context of terrorist attacks

5) Increasing ex post facto law, dismantling the golden legal rule of our civilisation, namely the sacred Lex retro non agit = "the law does not operate retroactively"

6) Increasing popularity of conspiracy theories, even between the middle class intelligentsia

7) Intolerance towards foreigners, 'nationalisation' of the access to resources, example is the fear of EU students taking Finance jobs in the UK

8) Outrageous profiling of minorities in the US

9) Effectively a martial law in France and Benelux

10) Recent elections in Austria, Poland, Germany and others.

11) Rejecting of SJW message and social activism in general; possibly linked to wider masculinity crisis

12) Mercantilist promises in economics

I could go on.

Social liberalism is, unfortunately, clearly declining. Is it a thing of the past, if not, when will it be? Is there anything we can do to remain open and socially liberal? What kind of era are we entering?
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 5, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

I want...

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.