The Student Room Group

Starting from scratch at 35?

Hello everybody.

I am 35 and stuck in a job I hate and is seriously thinking about going back into education.

The only qualifications I have are a French GCSE and a GNVQ in Leisure and Tourism(Intermediate). It has been so long since I finished these that I can't even remember where my certificates are.

I am first looking at doing my Maths and English GCSEs through distance learning whilst continuing working, and then possibly going onto A Levels.

One of the things that interest me is Accountancy but I know this requires very good grades and I have probably left it too late.

Is it worth starting from scratch at my age in the hope of going to Uni?

Thanks for reading.
Reply 1
It's never too late to better yourself. Go for it. Education never ends. Do as you plan. People of all ages attend University/Colleges.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hrryhll
Hello everybody.

I am 35 and stuck in a job I hate and is seriously thinking about going back into education.

The only qualifications I have are a French GCSE and a GNVQ in Leisure and Tourism(Intermediate). It has been so long since I finished these that I can't even remember where my certificates are.

I am first looking at doing my Maths and English GCSEs through distance learning whilst continuing working, and then possibly going onto A Levels.

One of the things that interest me is Accountancy but I know this requires very good grades and I have probably left it too late.

Is it worth starting from scratch at my age in the hope of going to Uni?

Thanks for reading.

It's a cliche but seriously it is never too late. Especially when you consider you have another 30+ years ahead of you until you can claim your pension.

You should be able to do maths and English for free as a part time course at a local college or adult learning service. Unfortunately you have probably left it too late for this year. You would probably be able to join functional skills classes that will get you started and then GCSE next year.

A levels are probably not the ideal solution for an adult learner. Have a look at access to higher education courses.

You don't have to go to uni to train in accountancy. Lots of people do it through AAT courses that can often be done part time.
https://www.aat.org.uk

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
I was looking at the distance learning site and it says the cut off point for exams in 2017 is this November.

I have read briefly about Access courses but do not know much about them. Are they really as worthy as A Levels when applying for Uni? Would you do it at Uni or is it completely separate?

I have also briefly come across the accountancy classes you mention. At first glance I am a bit wary of them and whether they are as important as a proper degree. Would I still need certain qualifications to start on one?

Sorry for these questions.
Reply 4
Original post by hrryhll
I was looking at the distance learning site and it says the cut off point for exams in 2017 is this November.

I have read briefly about Access courses but do not know much about them. Are they really as worthy as A Levels when applying for Uni? Would you do it at Uni or is it completely separate?

I have also briefly come across the accountancy classes you mention. At first glance I am a bit wary of them and whether they are as important as a proper degree. Would I still need certain qualifications to start on one?

I'd do you GCSEs alongside your Acess course as it's the quickest route into university. It'll take one year, if you're lucky some colleges may still be enrolling as it's only start of October but don't leave it too late. Ring them up and ask about spaces.
Original post by hrryhll

1. It depends how quickly you learn. Its unknown what your own abilities and limitations are. You might find exams easy or you might find them hard.
2. Access courses are a good alternative to A levels and if you wnat to do a degree and your intended uni accepts an access course then they are viable. Its done before uni normally at a college of HE. Imo A levels off you extra flexibility because everyone knows what they are and all unis accept them.

https://www.accesstohe.ac.uk/Pages/Default.aspx

3. Its good you get maths and English as Unis will require them anyway.

4. For accountancy you dont have to go to Uni.

https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk/advice/planning/jobprofiles/Pages/privatepracticeaccountant.aspx

ICA.PNG

http://www.accaglobal.com/uk/en/qualifications/accountancy-career.html
Original post by hrryhll

Cut off date: my point was that if you wanted to do a free course at college it is probably too late to start now. Courses at my college started weeks ago and are not accepting any new students for this year. It may be worth you checking locally but do it quickly. If you are going to pay for a distance learning course then you are working at your own pace and can start when you like.

Access courses: there's some great information posted above. I'm not sure what "more worthy" means - if your plan is to get to uni then they are just a means to an end. 3 A levels, the usual university requirement, can be very difficult and expensive to complete if you are not in full time education. They are designed for students in school. A levels certainly offer more flexibility for what and where you could study at university but with a specific plan of what you want to do and where you want to study you should be able to achieve it more easily with an access course.

Do you want a job in accountancy? Then I recommend you consider the benefits of all the different routes of getting there. Consider the cost of uni versus the cost of professional qualifications and the fact you can earn while you are learning. Or do you want "a proper degree in accountancy" and then see what happens career wise? Either is a fine choice.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
Thanks for the replies.

I am warming to the idea of an AAT course. The problem I have is when I see certain sites claiming a 96% success rate. It makes me think they will just pass anybody as long as you pay up.

I know it is not exactly the same but a few years ago I did a Forklift course privately and passed. But it when I showed the certificate to my employers it was pretty meaningless because nearly everybody passes the private way. I only finished paying it off last year and was a waste of my money in the end.

I think I would be able to the numerical side of the course OK but I am a bit worried about the IT side of things. I am not an expert on computers by any means.
Who is the course provider for the GCSE's? Iv'e recently done mine for maths and English from home whilst working full-time and now doing science. Be very careful with the online providers. The one I used charged around £300 per GCSE and then they told me I would pay around £40 for an exam at a local college. The only college that would take me as a private candidate was 80 miles away and charged around £200 a time. If I had my time again I would just work less and go to college. This will most likely get you better prepared and even with the loss of earnings work out cheaper. I think you can actually go to college for free to do maths and English GCSE's if you've not already got a C or better.
Reply 9
I think I want to do an AAT level 2 online and then progress to do level 3 in a classroom. I have looked at local colleges and they do it. Hopefully I will be ready for level 3 next September.

I have been doing some mock tests online and some of it is straight forward, but other parts of it I am stil trying to get my head round.

I got 12/15 in one mock test which was apparently marked by a tutor. He says I should start on the level 2 course.
i am 31 , and i am doing a bachelor of business administration degree through a distance education program .

i am planing to work too .

why i am doing this right now is that i screwed up my computer science degree . i could not pass one subject with a lot of mathematics and computer programming in it

don't worry about mathematics either .

with the help of this site i have been improving my mathematics from basics too .

HELM - Helping Engineers Learn Mathematics - is a major 3-year curriculum development project to support the mathematical education of engineering students. The project is sponsored by the Higher Education Funding Council for England (HEFCE) through phase 4 of the Fund for the Development for Teaching and Learning (FDTL4)

http://www.personal.soton.ac.uk/jav/soton/HELM/helm_workbooks.html
Reply 11
hi
i am 33 and enrolled for pre regis nursing for this feb 2017. dont know if i can make it, but it is my dream to be a mental health professional. i seem to struggle with this critical thinking idea and referencing, any suggestions on where i might find help?
Maybe you need to refine what it is exactly you're after. Do you just want a change of job and feel that University is the only/best way to achieve this? Or do you feel that you missed out on University the first time and want the experience? Or have you a thirst for learning and knowledge? Each of these lead to slightly different conclusions - if it was just the employment, then there's plenty of routes into changing jobs (including accountancy) which don't require a degree, though they come with their own set of challenges such as having to accept a junior entry position with a concomitant drop in salary from what you're probably used to.

Regardless, 35 is hardly ancient - plenty of time to do whatever you want!
I'm currently working as a junior management accountant. Both CIMA and ACCA do foundation level courses you don't require a degree in, or you can do AAT (a very respected qualification) and study to become chartered after that. I have okay GCSEs but otherwise no formal quals except my CIMA certs :smile:

Get your foot in the door by working an entry level admin role in an accounts department or practice and study in the evenings either with a course provider like KAPLAN (or on your own if you're brave enough!). You can work your way up as you progress. I worked with another woman who'd had kids Really early and was just starting AAT at 30, last I spoke to her she was managing a small accounts team!

Admittedly at your age by the time you finish qualifying you might struggle to get into a top five practise - but that doesn't mean you won't get a good job with interesting work, or even mean that it's impossible after you get a ton of experience.

Hope that helps!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 14
Thanks for replies but I have decided against accounting.

I am now aiming for a university degree which I have started another thread on.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending