Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

Struggling on L3 BTEC in software development and IT - advice

Announcements Posted on
Last day to win £100 of Amazon vouchers - don't miss out! Take our quick survey to enter 24-10-2016

So I began a level 3 BTEC course in software development and IT at my college about a month ago. For some reason I have been getting very little enjoyment out of it, even though I want to do well. Firstly, a lot of my phobias are centered around computing (such as what will happen if I type this dangerous command etc), although none of these are related to the course. I'm just finding the assignment descriptions a complete blur, with very little info on what we need to do in each task. I have so far missed one deadline, although the teacher simply warned me and gave me an extension. The language being used on the course is very confusing, too, although I don't speak the best English, despite being a native speaker. I have acted up about three times now, and they are threatening to suspend me if I do so again (I was never a troublemaker at school, BTW).

I seem to be spending all my lessons thinking about creating fictional buildings, drawing my own comics, and thinking about road layouts. These are the main things that interest me.

It's hard to change course at this stage, so what should I do to improve on the course and become motivated?

Hi young man/lady (?!) - the key to IT and computer science is read/code/practice/practice/practice: you need to read [books, internet, whatever medium you prefer] then code (computer science) or practice features of software
    (IT), and gradually, slowly but surely, things will fall into place. You will know, that with computers, when something works, it gives you a great feeling of achievement, that helps to build further interest and motivation, and on and on and on ...................... what I call a positive "non-vicious circle". I am not conversant with your particular course structure, but if you need specific help with java, sql, Excel or Access, let me know.

It also seems to me that you are a bit worked up about the whole thing: calm down, stop worrying and panicking [tell yourself calmly that this will only make things worse], take things in your stride: Remember what my dad taught me when I was a young lad/lass like you: "Though you tumble down boys, don't be downcast; try and try again, boys, and you will succeed at last!" (sorry not meant to be sexist, if you are a girl!).

Go on, brace yourself: you can do it!

Hope this is a slight help!

I'm just struggling with engaging. That's my main problem.

Talk to your teacher and try to get clearer explanations of tasks. Try applying what you're learning to things you're interested in. Do programming outside of school. Talk to your teachers, it's what they're there for!
    Also, I know it doesn't help much, but typing in dangerous commands really isn't that bad, so long as you have good backups, because all decent kernels have built in failsafes for that sort of stuff. So eg. typing in rm -rf / won't brick your computer anymore.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 9, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Would you rather find

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.