The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Nursing Career with a open university degree?

Has anyone or know anyone who has got a good nursing career with an open university degree? I'm looking into as i am a single mother of 2 also caring for my mum im 19 and have tried college but being able to do my work from home will be alot easier for me. I am a bit concerned as some people have said i may not be able to get a good job with a degree from OP. Can anyone help?
My understanding is that if you want to do a nursing degree (ie train so you're a nurse at the end of it) with the OU, you have to be working as a healthcare assistant or similar, and have the support of your employer to undertake the course. This is because there are a lot of very hands on, practical aspects to nursing, and the training requires that you spend time working with patients in a healthcare setting. So, it's not that an OU degree is inherently something you won't be able to get a good job with; it's that this specific job requires specific training.

You could, possibly, look at whether you could do an OU degree in a related subject - like Health & Social Care, perhaps - and then do further 'accelerated' study elsewhere after you graduate, to qualify as a nurse. I believe this would take another couple of years (full-time). You'd need to check whether the course you were doing initially would be acceptable to accelerated programmes, and to look into the funding arrangements for doing this, though.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Quick Reply

Latest