The Student Room Group
Which part of Europe are you looking at?
Reply 2
I find this particularly annoying with universities in other european countries, where after a while of reading, I get the impression those must be fairly good but then look at their exchange partners and find UK universities where I would not go to. Is it really that important as I think it is?

To be honest, no, I don't think exchange programmes are a way of measuring academic quality. People who go on a year abroad aren't necessarily doing it for academic reasons; a lot of them go in order to improve their language skills and take some time out during their degree (not to mention that a year abroad looks good on their CV). The UK is a very popular destination among European exchange students, so naturally European universities will be keen to form exchange partnerships with a variety of UK universities. So as long as the university itself is good, I wouldn't worry too much about exchange partners if I were you .
Reply 3
I was looking at western european countries, recently the netherlands but also switzerland, france and possibly sweden.
I was looking at western european countries, recently the netherlands but also switzerland, france and possibly sweden.

It looks like most good UK unis prefer to exchange only with North America, Australia and Japan
Reply 5

Hmm,I suppose you're right and I presume due to that less english people speak another european language than other europeans speak english there's higher demand for the Uk than the other way round.
nevertheless there seems to be some correlation between 'good' universities in the UK and ivy league connections or other well recognised universities in the US, in which case obviously no language barrier exists.
Reply 6

Not true. I'd say that most UK students studying abroad do it under the erasmus scheme as an additional year of their degree, but this does not go under the name "exchange program" but "year abroad".

Latest

Trending

Trending