The Student Room Group

Can I do A-levels after going to a non-English school??

I currently live in Spain and this year my parents wanted me to change schools for some reasons and so I did, the thing is I was thinking of going to a British school here to do GCSE's but they told me I would have to go a year back in order to complete the 2 year cycle (I should be in year 11 but I'd have to go back to year 10). I didn't want to repeat a whole year so I decided to continue to do my final year before A-levels in a Spanish system school. So basically do I have to do the GCSE's in order to do the A-levels?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Gabriela.K
I currently live in Spain and this year my parents wanted me to change schools for some reasons and so I did, the thing is I was thinking of going to a British school here to do GCSE's but they told me I would have to go a year back in order to complete the 2 year cycle (I should be in year 11 but I'd have to go back to year 10). I didn't want to repeat a whole year so I decided to continue to do my final year before A-levels in a Spanish system school. So basically do I have to do the GCSE's in order to do the A-levels?

You are not required to complete a GCSE to be allowed by an examiner to then study an A level. Whether you can find a school willing to take you for A level study will depend on the school entry requirements, I imagine international schools in Spain would be OK with it. Where do you hope to do A levels? Ask them! Why do you want to do A levels? What comes after that? If you hope to attend university in the uk you may find there are some GCSE requirements in addition to A level grades. I don't know enough about the Spanish system to know if whatever you achieve in it will be an acceptable equivalent. Finally, where do you hope to work? Many employers in uk demand GCSE in maths and English as a minimum requirement, even for graduates. Do some thinking and a bit of research but you may find it useful to complete igcse in maths and English as a private candidate alongside your Spanish qualifications.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Gabriela.K

You can do A-levels without GCSEs.

And regarding GCSE Maths and English, if you have an equivalent Spanish qualification that will be fine. Alternatively for English you might have to sit IELTS but that would be added as condition to your university offer so no need to do it yet.

But UK universities do accept the Spanish Bachillerato. Why do you specifically want to do A-levels instead?

Are you British living in Spain?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by jneill
You can do A-levels without GCSEs.

And regarding GCSE Maths and English, if you have an equivalent Spanish qualification that will be fine. Alternatively for English you might have to sit IELTS but that would be added as condition to your university offer so no need to do it yet.

But UK universities do accept the Spanish Bachillerato. Why do you specifically want to do A-levels instead?

Are you British living in Spain?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know the UK universities accept the Spanish Bachillerato but I always felt more comfortable with the English language and I always found it quicker to learn in.
I'm not exactly sure if I want to do the A-levels but it is something I'm thinking about. I am leaning more towards doing the IB but I heard how it is extremely stressful and hard so if I decide that I don't want to go through that then i'll probably do the A levels. And no I'm not british, I'm Polish but it just happens that I'm fluent in English since I used to go to an English school in my primary years. (Thanks for the info btw!:smile:)
Reply 4
Original post by gdunne42
You are not required to complete a GCSE to be allowed by an examiner to then study an A level. Whether you can find a school willing to take you for A level study will depend on the school entry requirements, I imagine international schools in Spain would be OK with it. Where do you hope to do A levels? Ask them! Why do you want to do A levels? What comes after that? If you hope to attend university in the uk you may find there are some GCSE requirements in addition to A level grades. I don't know enough about the Spanish system to know if whatever you achieve in it will be an acceptable equivalent. Finally, where do you hope to work? Many employers in uk demand GCSE in maths and English as a minimum requirement, even for graduates. Do some thinking and a bit of research but you may find it useful to complete igcse in maths and English as a private candidate alongside your Spanish qualifications.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay, thank you for the answer!

Quick Reply

Latest