The Student Room Group

did you have a happy sixth form experience?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by PalindromeGirl
I'm in year 13 currently, and in all honesty? I hate sixth form. My mum passed away in January, which isn't the reason for me not enjoying it, but since then my anxiety and emotions get the better of me when I'm stressed. The teachers forget that I'm still grieving and have no clue how to approach mental health. Bit **** tbh

I'm sorry your mum passed away. My mum also died when I was 8 years old. I totally understand you, especially with the anxiety thing the same happened to me last year in January but with my granddad. it is a bit **** to be honest :smile:
Original post by MajorFader
Was it attached to your secondary school?
TBH more and more sixth forms that are attached to secondary schools are taking more what they can handle and I don't know why?

Yes it is! My year 12 year group was larger than my year 11 year group... yet the sixth form building is smaller than the secondary school building??
I think they're taking more students because then they can get more top grades tbh
Finally found a friend group and started visiting people outside of school for the first time in many years, so yeah.
I also went on holiday with 5 of them twice and that was great.

When I first started though I was always moping about and cried a couple of times. Someone asked me if I was depressed once when I was on a DofE Gold Award cycling expedition and I said "yeah" but who the hell knows
At least it got better over time
I actually really enjoy sixth form. I feel like the only one who does sometimes, though. I really like the work, and my teachers, and I've made lots of good friends and have some good times. :redface: I hated secondary school, though.
i found the first year all fun and games. now im crying myself to sleep because of UCAS but its ok...
Nope. I didn't really bond with anyone in 6th form as most of them knew each other since year 7.

Something was a bit off about the atmosphere tbh. So many fake personas and people who do not understand the phrase "be yourself".

From experience of going to both 6th form and an actual college, I'd say that college had a better social life whereas, 6th form was great for learning purposes only.

Posted from TSR Mobile
This thread makes me a bit happy because now I know I'm not the only one who doesn't love sixth form :lol:
Reply 67
Sixth form was the happiest time of my life. Literally everyday was a blast!!! I miss it so much. It was so amazing!!!! Uni pales in comparison

Posted from TSR Mobile
I go to a sixth form college so it's a bit different.
Reply 69
Original post by Kiritsugu
We probably go to the same school :smile:

really which sixth form dya go?
I'm now 22 (23 in a few days) and have a degree and a good job. Although I came out of Sixth Form with good grades (A*AA), for me Sixth Form was the low point of my life socially. The cliques and social hierarchy from years 7-11 were still firmly in place. I feel as though I'd have been better off going to a different Sixth Form from the one I went to (where 95% of people were the same people from years 7-11), as I would then have been able to make new friends etc.

I was literally counting down the days before I could leave Sixth Form I disliked it so much. I longed to escape and start university where I could have a fresh start. And fortunately that's what happened - I made loads of great friends at uni and loved it there.
Original post by retro_turtles
Im glad i didn't stay at my 6th form loads of my friends keep complaining that its really strict mainly because they still treat them as kids and they cant leave as much as they want. I go to a sixth form college, bloody daunting but i wouldn't go back.

Same
Original post by retro_turtles
Im glad i didn't stay at my 6th form loads of my friends keep complaining that its really strict mainly because they still treat them as kids and they cant leave as much as they want. I go to a sixth form college, bloody daunting but i wouldn't go back.

I go to a sixth form college as well. The amount of people in year 12 is unreal lol. We also get quite a lot of freedom.
My sixth form is good :smile:
Sixth Form was the most enjoyable part of secondary school for me.
Original post by Super Cicero
I'm now 22 (23 in a few days) and have a degree and a good job. Although I came out of Sixth Form with good grades (A*AA), for me Sixth Form was the low point of my life socially. The cliques and social hierarchy from years 7-11 were still firmly in place. I feel as though I'd have been better off going to a different Sixth Form from the one I went to (where 95% of people were the same people from years 7-11), as I would then have been able to make new friends etc.

I was literally counting down the days before I could leave Sixth Form I disliked it so much. I longed to escape and start university where I could have a fresh start. And fortunately that's what happened - I made loads of great friends at uni and loved it there.

What subjects did you do?
Reply 76
Original post by APersonYo
Why did you feel that way?

idk I felt at a stage, in sort of november/december time, everyone knew what they wanted to do at university and they were applying for top universities. i felt very overwelmed and down. I used to talk to the careers team alot the year before but for some reason I felt odd around them, maybe because I didn't listen to their advise, I subsequently didn't get any.

Then the rest of the year, my situation just snowballed... :/

but its all good! well not really...but it will be though!!
Original post by MajorFader
I go to a sixth form college as well. The amount of people in year 12 is unreal lol. We also get quite a lot of freedom.

I know right? I started to re evaluate my life choices when i saw the amount of people haha
My sixth form is quite small so everyone gets along and supports each other. Great experience.
Not in the slightest.

I absolutely loathed sixth form. I made the huge mistake of going to my secondary school's sixth form and I (think) I even had an existential crisis in the beginning part of year 12. When I was in year 11 I was so motivated and got really good GCSEs however when sixth form started, I lost alllll my motivation and starting thinking things like 'what's the point?' I kept taking days off because I hated it so much and when I got my results in August and they weren't that good, I really didn't care, I was just glad that it was all finally over.

I can easily say that it was the worst two years of my life and I can't believe how lucky I am that it's over forever.

Quick Reply

Latest