The Student Room Group

What is Fat Acceptance and is it a legitimate movement?

There was a small demonstration at University today calling themselves "Fat Pride".

I don't understand why someone would be proud of being fat?

Scroll to see replies

Exactly. It's an ruse whereby tubs of lard can delude themselves into believing that being clinically obese is perfectly acceptable and without any consequences, and people should just 'get over it'. Whilst shoving chips into their faces. When they develop osteoarthritis, type 2 diabetes, hypertension, they'll still be there, gobbling down chocolates and berating people for not 'accepting their choices' whilst simultaneously expecting those people to pay for their NHS joint replacements because they are by that point too fat and too depressed to work and pay into the health system that's the only thing keeping them from the grave.
Original post by Leukocyte

[video="youtube;WPMDCJrRpT8"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPMDCJrRpT8[/video]
Original post by Reality Check
Exactly. It's an ruse whereby tubs of lard can delude themselves into believing that being clinically obese is perfectly acceptable and without any consequences, and people should just 'get over it'. Whilst shoving chips into their faces. When they develop osteoarthritis, type 2 diabetes, hypertension, they'll still be there, gobbling down chocolates and berating people for not 'accepting their choices' whilst simultaneously expecting those people to pay for their NHS joint replacements because they are by that point too fat and too depressed to work and pay into the health system that's the only thing keeping them from the grave.

savage.

I don't mind tubbies myself, as long as they don't sweat too much near me.
Original post by Dodgypirate
There was a small demonstration at University today calling themselves "Fat Pride".

I don't understand why someone would be proud of being fat?

Our society tells us to feel good about ourselves, no matter what. We're bombarded with this crap. Fat people don't want to be exceptions, unfortunately not realising that having masses of excess adipose tissue isn't actually just a natural body type, but a very dangerous disease.
Reply 7
Speaking as a fat person currently i think it's mainly women who have given up and bought into the feminist rubbish that they should never be critisized.
It's because of the social justice movement and the vocal nature of the left wing that encourages empowerment and equality on all sides. Nothing inherently wrong with that, except the issue is that all that comes from this is whites speaking for minorities instead of letting them be more independent and ironically, not letting them represent themselves. The only group that genuinely seems stronger due to this movement is fat people.

Fat people are entitled and selfish people who won't accept that we want to help them get better. They're afflicted by their inability to control what they eat or exercise, grotesquely deforming them and making them increasingly less attractive and likeable. They feel as if rolls of fat are "curves" and men should like "curvy" women because nothing else is acceptable, because women are skinny-*****es otherwise. I feel as if hamplanets need disempowerment and a wake-up call.
I don't understand why someone would be proud of being black, or white, or bisexual, or British. But it's their life so if that makes them happy, great. :dontknow:

Spoken as a non "greedy, can't control what I eat, do no exercise" but still fat person.
Reply 10
This is a bit stupid really, i mostly think its down to trying to get some attention
Admittedly i am overweight, not massively but not in a good way, and i am definitely not proud of it
However I actually am trying to lose weight rather than trying to make myself and other people beleive it is ok because really it is not
The main issue i have with it is not what people think about it but how it affects my health and ability to do things
Its really nothing to be proud of and they need to get their act together
Semi-serious trolling? :colone:
:h:
Only thing they have to be proud of is being a role model of what no one should become.
FAT = Factory Acceptance Test
Well I hope they're proud of themselves when they're dying in a hospital bed at the age of 40.
sounds like "clown lives mater."

http://www.nbcnews.com/video/woman-organizes-clown-lives-matter-rally-780247107993

How real is it and what good does it do?
"Fat pride?"

You having a larf mate?

Original post by ForestShadow

panda panda panda panda panda brrrrrrrahh
"Pegasus"...Panda...lol
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 18
While it's compassionate to treat all people with respect and dignity, you can't do that whilst at the same time lying to people. The unfortunate truths in this case are that overweight people are generally speaking less attractive than people in shape, and that there are health risks. It's not fat-shaming to talk plainly about facts. However, it's also not necessary to remind overweight people about these things constantly, and we should recognise that there are multiple factors that cause obesity, so it's generally unhelpful to be judgemental about it.

These things being said, if people want to be proud about being fat, then I'm okay with that, just as I could be proud about being an alcoholic or a lazy person - it's just a bit weird. But, if people want me to respect them for those things, I can't really do that because I believe them to be bad, and my words and behaviour will inevitably always reflect that view.
lol to make people feel better about themselves since everyone hates on fat people
personally its a crap demonstration if the person is obese like.. do you want to kill them or?

Quick Reply