Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Imperial college? Do i stand any chance?

University Navigation

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

Hi there, I am studying lvl 3 BTEC Extended diploma in Applied science. What are the odds of being accepted onto the MSci Chemistry with Medicinal Chemistry and a Year in Industry at Imperial college. FYI, I am predicted all 3D*. My main question is what else could I do to set myself apart and maybe given consideration (I haven't called up uni yet but they do accept btec lvl3 ext dip). Most of you are probably thinking that I know nothing because I'm doing a BTEC. Let me tell you something I know pretty much everything you guys study too at alevel as well. I have a lot of friends who are at A2 chemistry predicted As and I can guarantee you they hardly know how to set up a redox experiment by themselves and do a lab report style after,without practise and instruction. Maybe not all bio, but there's a unit of biochemistry I am studying. I think its unfair to have a mentality and generalise the that a level students have better priority and potential over btec students that are doing my course . Our lecturer has a PhD in chemistry, he inspires us and is very passionate about his profession, he tells us anything is possible with hard work and passion. I bet you some/most try hard A2 chem students will not be able to identify and name a isomer of an organic compound*. Or even tell me what makes an acid acidic**(I laugh when I do this, very entertaining listening to the responses I get XD) ,
    but before we get into a never ending debate about whether btec applied science is the same level a Alevel standard, lets get back to my main question. I really want to study at imperial college, I think that maybe, just maybe I could get in. maybe its too late to get more work experience or friggin join mensa, but never say never.

*(H+ ion obviously)
    **(for example a haloalkene like 2-Bromo-9,9-dimethylfluorene.try drawing that ****)

You first need to check entry requirements and work out if you can meet them. Don't worry about what others think of your current qualifications. It's what the uni thinks that matters and they're well aware of what your course covers.

(Original post by JellyfishThunder)
    You BTECers are rather cute😊. Especially when you get enraged and try so desperately to prove that you are better than ALevel'ers. ALevels are more prestigious for a reason. So, please deflate your ego a little
    pretty sure it should be Alevel'ers needing their ego deflated............

(Original post by bubblegumcat)
    pretty sure it should be Alevel'ers needing their ego deflated............
    Perhaps some of us do. I certainly don't, as I personally respect any sort of educational system. However, the fact that students of one qualification behave disrespectfully towards the other, doesn't give anyone the rights to be disrespectful back at them. I sincerely hope I don't anger anyone, cuz you know, peace and love
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 19, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.