Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

EU student loan conditions

Announcements Posted on
Would YOU be put off a uni with a high crime rate? First 50 to have their say get a £5 Amazon voucher! 27-10-2016
    • Thread Starter


    I am a EU student who completed an undergraduate course in the UK in July 2015 and I am now thinking about going back to uni next year to do a Masters.

    Would I be eligible for the postgraduate loan that helps cover living costs?

    I remember not being eligible for it during my undergraduate or even the last year of my undergraduate when I last inquired about it because I had to have been in the UK for 3 years to be considered a UK resident, and when applying for the loan in my final year, this was not the case (it would have been the case by the time I finished though, bummer)

    Thanks in advance, hope to hear a satisfying response.


    Your nationality or residency status
    You can get the Postgraduate Loan if all of the following apply:
    • you’re a UK or EU national, or have ‘settled status’, so there are no restrictions on how long you can stay
    • you normally live in England, and didn’t move there just to study
    • you’ve been living in the UK, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man for 3 years before starting your course

    You may also be eligible if you’re an EU national and all the following apply:
    • you’re living in England on the first day of the first year of your course
    • you’ve normally lived in the European Economic Area or Switzerland for the past 3 years (this is also known as being ‘ordinarily resident’)
    • you’ll be studying at a university or college in England

    You could also be eligible if you’re:
    • the child of a Swiss national
    • the child of a Turkish worker
    • a refugee or a relative of one
    • an EEA or Swiss migrant worker, or a relative of one
    • under humanitarian protection or a relative of someone who has been granted it
    • 18 or over and have lived in the UK for at least 20 years or at least half your life

    From -
    • Thread Starter

    Hello and thanks for your response,

    So I guess this should answer my question but I just want to make sure of my eligibility with my specific background before I look into my prospects more.

    I moved to England in September 2012 (for school) and stayed for 3 years (until completion of my course in July 2015) but occasionally went back to my parents' house for the holidays in France. Before moving to England, I had lived in France my whole life. Finishing my course in July 2015, I left the UK to take a course in Canada (which finished in April 2016) and still currently live there with a work visa, however I am considering moving back to Europe sooner in order to start a Masters in September 2017.

    With all those details, would you be able to tell me if I would be eligible for the loan? It would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks in advance.

Write a reply…


Submit reply


Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

    6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

  4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 6, 2016
I want...
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.