The Student Room Group

Tsp 2017

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by oldboy2007
How do you know you've passed with 48% on the sift test? And you can pass a test even when more than half the people did better than you???

I found the sift test to be confusing because there was a gradient of answers, the difference between mildly / averagely / highly are surely personal opinion? I mean there was obvious a direction to the answer, but the strength was :s

That's the problem with misquotation. I meant reaching the minimum standard. If you don't reach this. Then its an automatic fail. And my score doesn't guarantee progress it just means i reached the minimum. Everyone will find out in November if they progressed or not.
Reply 61
Original post by QE5
Yes you are correct. TSP was different test. However the HO test was exactly the same. Same questions. Each one.

It's so frustrating. In the past I have passed EO CSIST at 97% and then scored 19%. They aren't the best measure. Think it's just an easy way of cutting numbers for them.
Reply 62
Original post by Sk80gse

It's so frustrating. In the past I have passed EO CSIST at 97% and then scored 19%. They aren't the best measure. Think it's just an easy way of cutting numbers for them.

Yh completely agree. Even the competency process is incredibly subjective. Was that 19% for this years TSP.
Reply 63
Original post by QE5
Yh completely agree. Even the competency process is incredibly subjective. Was that 19% for this years TSP.

No it was for an EO recruitment a few years back. I scored 88% on this TSP.This was a HO level CSIST aswell.

Think the competencies are incredibly subjective. I've said this before but my husband has been trained to mark competencies and I've achieved only a 4 (acceptable demonstration) when in his opinion it was a strong 6. That was for another recruitment also.
Reply 64
Original post by Sk80gse
No it was for an EO recruitment a few years back. I scored 88% on this TSP.This was a HO level CSIST aswell.

Think the competencies are incredibly subjective. I've said this before but my husband has been trained to mark competencies and I've achieved only a 4 (acceptable demonstration) when in his opinion it was a strong 6. That was for another recruitment also.

Exactly. That same competency was a 5 once. But another occassion scores a 2. Apart from using the civil service framework. Its difficult to guage what their looking for. Thereby im finding it hard move up from O to HO. Hope the process improves with some changes.
Looking at everyones score mine seems to be quite low😐 hoping the next stage takes account of predicted grades otherwise i have a feeling i wont get much further 😕
Original post by Suzey1983
Looking at everyones score mine seems to be quite low😐 hoping the next stage takes account of predicted grades otherwise i have a feeling i wont get much further 😕

waht did you get on the SIFT test?
waht did you get on the SIFT test?

I got 67% but everyone seems to have scored 80 or 90 😕
Original post by Suzey1983
I got 67% but everyone seems to have scored 80 or 90 😕

hmm. I got 74%. I don't think either of our scores are brilliant. so what I'm hoping is that they don't chuck too many people out without putting them through the numerical / verbal reasoning tests or later simulated tasks. That's where I feel like I will do my best. they're supposed to be looking for people with the capabilities to deal with complex tax problems after all.

I really don't understand the SIFT test that well. I struggled with deciding whether if an action is appropriate, whether is midly, midling or highly appropriate etc. maybe i'm biased because I don't understand people, but surely that's very subjective.
Reply 69
Is it just one test, the CSIST? Or are the numerical and situational individual tests too? Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
hmm. I got 74%. I don't think either of our scores are brilliant. so what I'm hoping is that they don't chuck too many people out without putting them through the numerical / verbal reasoning tests or later simulated tasks. That's where I feel like I will do my best. they're supposed to be looking for people with the capabilities to deal with complex tax problems after all.

I really don't understand the SIFT test that well. I struggled with deciding whether if an action is appropriate, whether is midly, midling or highly appropriate etc. maybe i'm biased because I don't understand people, but surely that's very subjective.

So did the test ask you to rank answers according to their appropriateness as a response to a situation? Was it timed?
Reply 71
Does anyone know what the ratio of applicants to places is? Or which offices tend to be most popular?

Also does anyone have any tips for applying 😊
Reply 72
Original post by hodgey111
So did the test ask you to rank answers according to their appropriateness as a response to a situation? Was it timed?

It tells you all this in the test guidance and gives sample questions.
Reply 73
Original post by Nmc90
Does anyone know what the ratio of applicants to places is? Or which offices tend to be most popular?

Also does anyone have any tips for applying 😊

Can't remember exact number but last year had between 20000-30000 for 200 places. London is very popular but doesn't really mean much as the vacancies are not spread evenly over location (some may have 5 others 20). Basically you stand the best chance if you are mobile and can work anywhere in which case select all locations.
Original post by Rchilton
Can't remember exact number but last year had between 20000-30000 for 200 places. London is very popular but doesn't really mean much as the vacancies are not spread evenly over location (some may have 5 others 20). Basically you stand the best chance if you are mobile and can work anywhere in which case select all locations.

do you know roughly what % of people they take past the CSIST/Sift through to stage 2 aka numerica/verbal/work style?

I saw somewhere that it was possible to amend your location preferences if you email them. I only selected a top preference and a 2nd pref.
Reply 75
do you know roughly what % of people they take past the CSIST/Sift through to stage 2 aka numerica/verbal/work style?

I saw somewhere that it was possible to amend your location preferences if you email them. I only selected a top preference and a 2nd pref.

Last year I got better than 77% and got through to the next round of tests.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I knew someone last year who got in the high 30's and got through. Ended up geting an offer and started last month. So people saying they dont think they've got through with 70% or there abouts is ridiculous.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gingerwizard
I knew someone last year who got in the high 30's and got through. Ended up geting an offer and started last month. So people saying they dont think they've got through with 70% or there abouts is ridiculous.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That has made me feel better about my result 😊 thank you
Reply 78

Last year the cut off was really low, perhaps about 35% however there was no review period you were told immediately if you'd passed and could proceed on to the next 2 tests. Slightly different this year as it will tell you if you met the minimum standard but says this does not guarantee succession to the next stage.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rchilton
Last year the cut off was really low, perhaps about 35% however there was no review period you were told immediately if you'd passed and could proceed on to the next 2 tests. Slightly different this year as it will tell you if you met the minimum standard but says this does not guarantee succession to the next stage.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I imagine anything above 50% will be thr cut off to progress to numerical/verbal. Just a guess though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending