The Student Room Group

Personal statement

How do I write a personal statement that can get me an offer for both radiography,OT and health physiology?
I know everyone just says 'you have to choose one' but I don't know what one I want to do for definite. And I don't want to choose one for the sake of my personal statement and then only have an offer for that specific course and then realise I don't want to do it.
Original post by Mshannon1017
How do I write a personal statement that can get me an offer for both radiography,OT and health physiology?
I know everyone just says 'you have to choose one' but I don't know what one I want to do for definite. And I don't want to choose one for the sake of my personal statement and then only have an offer for that specific course and then realise I don't want to do it.

Sorry to repeat what everyone has already told you, but it really isn't possible to write a good personal statement that has the potential to get you at least some offers while also covering more than one of these subjects. They are not closely linked at all, and it will be impossible to avoid mentioning subject names in the statement. Admissions tutors will see straight away that you are confused and don't know what you want to do, and are highly unlikely to take someone on who is not fully committed to the course.*

If you are that unsure, take a gap year, do some volunteering and make sure that you get work experience in the areas you are interested in. They are all completely different careers which is something you should research before making an application. Don't be so keen to go to uni straight away that you end up on the wrong course.*

Maybe try customizing your personal statement for a specific program. Write one personal with a radiography as a main subject. Another one do with a health physiology as a main subject and so on. It will take you more time and effort but this way you won't fall apart between three subjects. Just think about which university you're applying to has better OT program, or radiography program, etc. If you'll get in more than one university than you'll have to decide again which one to choose. But if you'll get only in one university - choice will be done for you. And don't forget about personal statement revision.
Hope this will be helpful a little bit.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by GeoffreySchwab
Maybe try customizing your personal statement for a specific program. Write one personal with a radiography as a main subject. Another one do with a health physiology as a main subject and so on. It will take you more time and effort but this way you won't fall apart between three subjects. Just think about which university you're applying to has better OT program, or radiography program, etc. If you'll get in more than one university than you'll have to decide again which one to choose. But if you'll get only in one university - choice will be done for you.
Hope this will be helpful a little bit. And don't forget about personal statement revision! :u:

There really isn't much point in writing several different personal statements as only one can be submitted.*
Original post by Charlotte49
There really isn't much point in writing several different personal statements as only one can be submitted.*

So if I apply to 5 universities, I should only have one personal statement? I thought I can customize my personal statement for every school I apply to so there will be 5 personal statements at the end that are a little bit different from each other. Please, tell me I wasn't thinking about application process wrong all this time. :frown:
So if I apply to 5 universities, I should only have one personal statement? I thought I can customize my personal statement for every school I apply to so there will be 5 personal statements at the end that are a little bit different from each other. Please, tell me I wasn't thinking about application process wrong all this time. :frown:

Your UCAS application has a single PS that is sent to all of your choices.
Original post by PQ
Your UCAS application has a single PS that is sent to all of your choices.

OMG, thank you! I'm a little bit shaken right now. I was thinking it was working a little bit different. Thank you for correcting me, guys!
Reply 7
OMG, thank you! I'm a little bit shaken right now. I was thinking it was working a little bit different. Thank you for correcting me, guys!

Ultimately you will need to decide which course you want to do anyway. You just need to make that decision before you apply rather than after...

You have until the 15th Jan deadline to apply with equal consideration. Plenty of time to come to a decision, find the right courses/universities for you, and prepare a solid personal statement.

Don't worry about it, a lot of people get confused about it because they've heard more about the US system. Your single PS should cover the one (or two very closely related) course/s you want to apply to and focus on that particular area of study, rather than the institution you are going to be studying at. You have plenty of time so don't worry yourself too much at this stage, you're lucky you've realised now rather than in a couple of months time.*

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending