Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

12th October: Is the internet the first place you go when you're ill?

Announcements Posted on
Why bother with a post grad? Are they even worth it? Have your say! 26-10-2016

All the time, i google my symptoms almost everyday. When i'm convined i have an illness i book an appointment with the GP.

(Original post by JuliahMusic)
    I'm actually not registered with a gp because I'm 25 but still live with my parents but they haven't registered me... so been relying on Google, WebMD and stuff I can buy at a pharmacy. I know I sound really bad
    Lol you're 25 but relying on your parents to register you. Irrelevant of whether you live with them you can register yourself.

A thorough search for my symptoms and then the doctors for confirmation.

Although I usually just come here nowadays

My dad's a doctor so I don't have to worry about appointments or other stuff.

No but the I sometimes use the internet to see what the symptoms could be of, so that I can go to the GP for treatment

Hi there, I'm a press officer for MHRA. We worked with Radio 1 on last week's show, which we found a really interesting insight into how young people view this issue.

We recently started a campaign called FakeMeds which aims to educate people about the dangers of buying medical products online from outside of the legit supply chain. We would really like to get in touch with some case studies of young people who have bought medicines or medical devices online and had a bad experience.

We'd particularly like to hear from people who have bought dodgy diet pills and either got sick or ripped off. We are aware of several deaths of students who have bought pills online that contained toxic ingredients, and are trying to raise awareness of the risks among this age group.

We'd also like to hear from you if you've bought condoms online that looked a bit dodgy, or a home STI self-test kit if you were trying to avoid a trip to the clinic.

Also, any experiences you might have had around buying prescription medicines without going through the proper channels and visiting a doctor in the first instance. Your details will be treated confidentially. If you're interested, please email [email protected] or give us a call on 020 3080 7651

Thanks! - James

When I am ill, I go to the doctor to get a diagnosis for my illness. The internet cannot substitue the experience of a doctor who I trust. I may looking for my illness in the internet, but it is highely unreliable, as I have not the knowledge of a doctor to judge and to recognize it. So I am not capable of giving a diagnosis, unless I am a doctor.

I always buy my medicine in a chemist's, just because there are people who may give me good advices and have not to wait till it is delivered.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 24, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Cats: Yay or nay?
Useful resources
Radio 1 - The Surgery

Welcome to the official BBC Radio 1: The Surgery forum. This forum is a chance for you to ask your questions and join the discussion here, you may even get a chance to get involved live on air.

Listen to the show live here

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.