Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Am I doing enough hours of work a week?

Announcements Posted on
Would YOU be put off a uni with a high crime rate? First 50 to have their say get a £5 Amazon voucher! 27-10-2016

I am a first year geography student, I have between 10-12 contact hours a week, and I am to do about 26 hours spread out over the seven days. The amount of independent hours I do is dependent on what and when I have lectures. I go home on Fridays (no lectures) for the weekend and come back Monday morning as I don't live far and I actually hate being in halls. I plan to do about 8 hours over the weekend period Friday-Sunday (maybe more if not doing much), leaving 16 hours of independent work, between Monday and Thursday. I'm not exactly sociable, so I don't go out much, leaving most of the weekday evenings to work. I normally would do so until about 8, when I would catch up on Once Upon a time or do some colouring. Is this enough, my work consists of reading, rewriting notes made and set essays and coursework?

That sounds like enough, if not maybe too much.

Does it FEEL like too much? Are you overwhelmed? If not, then don't worry about it.
    After you've done a few essays and tests, see if you're performing to your desired standard of results. You will know then whether your amount of studying is "enough" for you. If you do nothing but study constantly you'll just burn yourself out, which will have a negative effect on your grades and your well-being overall.

Keep in mind that what is "enough" work/study for one person is "too little" for another, and "WAY too much" for the person beside them. It is personal and only you can decide what is "enough" for you. Make sure you round out your life with other things besides school reading and television, even if it's just a weekly walk or a book that has nothing to do with school.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 8, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Would you rather be able to
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.