The Student Room Group

Planning University...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by elllietate
My boyfriend and I are both planning to start University in September 2017. We want to do completely different courses, Psychology for me and Music Production/Sound Engineering for him. As you can imagine, these two subjects don't cross over much and so not a huge amount of Universities actually offer both of these courses and the ones that do seem to, more often than not, have the lectures etc in different buildings/campuses often fairly far apart.

Despite this, we are trying to find a University we can both attend and share accommodation somewhere between both our lecture buildings, or something like that. However it is making an already difficult task (choosing a University) significantly more challenging. Not only this, but is going to University/sharing accommodation with your partner even a good idea?

We have been together 8 months and I have been in long term relationships before ours but none have felt this serious or real, he is very much my "first love" or whatever. We spend 3-6 days a week together and usually at least 3-4 nights together each week so we are accustomed to being in each other's presence a lot, so moving in together wouldn't be a huge leap.

My main concerns are:
What if we break up after we have decided to live together and attend the same University and then we are stuck/have to change last minute?
What if we break up half way through the year and have to live together as exes?
Is it realistic to think that a relationship of only 8 months will last until September next year, let alone through University?
- Is it better to accept that we will break apart due to University and focus on which place is right for us as individuals purely down to personal preference, not taking into consideration it's location in relation to the other person?

(We already agreed we couldn't do long distance as he's been cheated on in the past and although he trusts me he says the paranoia would put an unhealthy strain on the relationship and if it got to that point he'd rather we left on a positive note than get to the point where he felt like a controlling maniac and I hated him)

Sorry for the super long post. Does anyone have experience with this or opinions? Good idea? Bad Idea? Pros/cons? Things I'm being oblivious/naive to? I'm just a bit stuck with what to do, any input is welcome. Thanks!!

This time last year, I was in the same position as you, although id been with my boyfriend for 10 months. For both of us, it was our first, serious relationship.
We looked at unis together, and found ones we both like. Fast forward a year and we now live and study together.

I think it depends on the student experience you want. I have several friends at uni and some have loved halls, but I also know people who have hated every minute. They would rather stay in than go clubbing and for some reason that isn't a good thing at uni.
I love my boyfriend and I hated freshers week. Having someone to come home to, to comfort me everytime I became overwhelmed made all the difference. If I'd broken up with him and stayed in halls as so many people do, I doubt I would've made it to my second week.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending