Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

AS drop or retake ?

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

Im an A level (cie) student who is currently sitting for my AS and will soon sit for A2 next may/june. I'm currently taking econs,law,psychology in my college and maths as a private candidate. Before I proceed, I wanna clarify that I will be applying for uni(for law) with my full A level results instead of predicted grades as I intend to take a gap year.

However, this is my current situation:I just sat for AS law paper 1 and I honestly think I will not be able to manage an A because I only managed to complete 2 essay questions out of 3 questions (have to do 3 essay questions out of 6 in 90 mins bruhh how)Since Im doing 3 subjects in my college , they have a policy where we have to sign up for 3 subjects no matter the circumstancr However, my situation is different , I will be sitting for my AS & A2 maths altogether next May/June so even if I do drop a subject in college , I still have 3 subjects but once again, the college policy is stopping me from doing so.

So may I know how should I approach this problem ?1) Resit for law next year (meaning I have to do law paper 1,2,3,4 altogether)2)Quit college, and carry forward my econs mark (which Im confident of getting an A for my AS) and sit for econs A2, maths AS&A2 (I almost finish studying these 2 subjects already) and take up History (I wanna do this subject real bad but no college here offers it, I will prob find a tutor)3)Screw it and just try to aim a B for law and achieve 3A* for the rest (maths,econs,psychology). Will uni's even look badly at that B since they only look at 3 subjects.

Thank you

The B won't matter too much if you have A*s in good essay based subjects like Econ and Psych and a good traditional subject like Maths.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 10, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.