Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Whats the point of this and how flexible is it?

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016
REMINDER: Do not post your personal statement on TSR, otherwise you may have to rewrite it from scratch. Click here for more info. 11-10-2016

(Original post by Abstract_Prism)
    You've done very well to quantify those universities, but there are other factors to consider that are not so quantifiable. For example, do you like the look of the university? Warwick may provide excellent opportunities to get into investment banking, but it looks rather hideous and is in a remote location. Another example, the perceived reputation of the university. Often the league tables and employment progression rates won't have any impact on how a university is perceived, that is, their deeply-rooted reputation. And I do think that is something you might want to take into consideration.

And then you've got the uni experience itself, which you might consider worth paying for, even if it won't increase your earning potential enough that you would have been in a better financial position by not going to uni.
    Warwick would have to look pretty hideous to put me off. I am really not that bothered about visual aesthetics as I said previously. Since my social life has always been none existent all I really need is a restaurant similar to TGI Fridays or Frankie and Bennies. A movie theater and some basic shops. I mean sure Bath stands out because it is a beautiful city, and has the spa which i like. However I couldn't afford to go to the spa enough to make it worthwhile.

Perceived reputation is a big deal it is why the graduate salaries for ST Andrews and Lancaster concerns me. It is also why I have questions about Surrey. Normally perceived reputation is reflected in Graduate salary and employment averages.

This is one of the things that concerns me a lot of people say six months after graduation does not mean much. Well I am aware that I probably wont be earning the graduate salary for the rest of my life I would expect to progress. However some people can just get ahead because of themselves my autism is a major factor.

To expand on that people always want to and do look at me as stupid as soon as they find out the autistic label. with employers actually saying "because I am autistic I learn slower) as I have said in other places if I mention the IQ of 144 they only hear 44. The bias reinterpret everything to confirm the bias of me been stupid if I came out of St Andrews or Lancaster they would go never heard of that must be some crappy poly Technic, if a guy with actual social skills or some attractive blonde came out of those same universities they would be wow you went to ST/Andrews and Lancaster.

Many people wont understand what i mean but as I have said on numerous discussions people say that people like nice people I say that people label people they like as nice. Might seem like the same thing but is a big difference their.

However If i got into Cambridge, Imperial, Warwick, UCL, Bristol or etc it is too hard for them to play that game they have to acknowledge I went to and graduated from a decent university.

If "reputation" is important to you, St Andrews is better known internationally than most other UK universities - especially in America. A certain future king (and his wife) went there to further enhance the international interest. As a result, 47% of the student population is international, that's more than Cambridge and Oxford.

(Oh and John Napier too - so not bad for maths...)
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 9, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.