The Student Room Group

Childcare Grant Mess!!!

I am so sick of Student Finance now. I really do not understand how you can say to someone who applied for the childcare grant for academic year 15/16 and had it approved based on a CYI for the same year, who has retured CCG2 forms that YOU sent to me, can now be told that they are overscale and have a grant overpayment - even though the income give on the CYI form was estimated at MORE than what we actually earned!

It makes no sense. I have now been left with a nursery bill to pay, an overdraft that I have been using to pay back what we can to them each month and a bill from SFE for over £2000.00. As a mature student who has a 19 week old baby and a child now at school, I am distraught by this.
Original post by HEmom
I am so sick of Student Finance now. I really do not understand how you can say to someone who applied for the childcare grant for academic year 15/16 and had it approved based on a CYI for the same year, who has retured CCG2 forms that YOU sent to me, can now be told that they are overscale and have a grant overpayment - even though the income give on the CYI form was estimated at MORE than what we actually earned!

It makes no sense. I have now been left with a nursery bill to pay, an overdraft that I have been using to pay back what we can to them each month and a bill from SFE for over £2000.00. As a mature student who has a 19 week old baby and a child now at school, I am distraught by this.

The grant overpayment could be your fault. You estimate your income on a CYI and you estimate the childcare costs on a ccg1 - you should of asked your child care provider for the costs they will charge and then put them on the ccg1 - you possibly have an overpayment because the childcare provider has stated they charged less than you asked for.

I really can't feel sorry for you if the ccg2 has been processed and you still have a grant overpayment because you would of known *what you were doing.

However overpayments are common because the CCG2 gets sent late by a lot of students so perhaps your CCG2 is still being processed.*

As you say it's a £2000 overpayment - it actually sounds like your CCG2 has not been processed - a CCG2 takes 20 working days to process once received so I'm assuming you only sent yours recently*
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm having a similar problem, they are demanding documents that don't exist for my partners income, and after weeks of phonecalls I have finally managed to figure out that when I ticked the box saying I wanted to claim CCG until the end of the academic year it meant the end of August. (My academic year ends in June but apparently ticking that box meant I wanted CCG for the holiday term too & don't even get me started on the fact my academic year started in Oct but Sept isn't included on the holiday period it just makes no sense). I've just sat and done the calculations and I have my overpayment based on that information at £1465.70 but SFE have deducted £1702.30 from this years maintenance grant leaving me up the creek without a paddle!!

I know none of this helps you but rest assured you are not on your own!!!
I applied In august this year for child care funding, it's now November and I still haven't received a payment, my initial form was submitted without a date ( yes my fault) but I had to ring student finance up to find this out, they sent me no correspondence to confirm I had made a mistake. Then I finally get my second form through the post as for some reason you can't download the form in pdf format in this digital age. So I send the form back, almost months pass and nothing so I ring up again and they assure me payment will be released on 31st October at the latest, the date comes and nothing so I ring back...again. now I'm not eligible for child care funding, because my income is too high, we get no childcare funding from anywhere else and it's a minimum wage household. So when we worked it all out it makes no sense to me or the adviser spoke to so now I'm sending in my ccg2 which is pretty much pointless because I've accrued so much debt with my childcare provider I dont even want to show my face there, getting funding sent out promptly is the difference between passing and failing.
Original post by Nochildcaregrant
I applied In august this year for child care funding, it's now November and I still haven't received a payment, my initial form was submitted without a date ( yes my fault) but I had to ring student finance up to find this out, they sent me no correspondence to confirm I had made a mistake. Then I finally get my second form through the post as for some reason you can't download the form in pdf format in this digital age. So I send the form back, almost months pass and nothing so I ring up again and they assure me payment will be released on 31st October at the latest, the date comes and nothing so I ring back...again. now I'm not eligible for child care funding, because my income is too high, we get no childcare funding from anywhere else and it's a minimum wage household. So when we worked it all out it makes no sense to me or the adviser spoke to so now I'm sending in my ccg2 which is pretty much pointless because I've accrued so much debt with my childcare provider I dont even want to show my face there, getting funding sent out promptly is the difference between passing and failing.

Hi, you may get more responses if you start your own thread. :smile:
Original post by Nochildcaregrant

Unfortunately the household income has to be very low to get child care grant, something like under 9000 grand (not accurate I'm just giving that figure to show how low) So if your partner earns over 20k definitely wouldn't receive it and I know it seems unfair because 20k on paper is a lot but the outgoings make it a low wage, they don't look at outgoings though unfortunately.
Reply 6
Can my nursery ask to be paid the full years fee at once
Original post by Masanga
Can my nursery ask to be paid the full years fee at once

This is a four year old thread. You will be mite likely to get a reply and advice by staring a new thread on the topic you want addressing

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending