The Student Room Group

Any other summer 2016 uni graduates still unemployed?

Scroll to see replies

Cant get someone to give you a job?

ok.

Make your own job.

Its what I did.. after a few low-level positions after graduating, I couldn't get a break in the field I wanted to, and unlike yourself and many others I do not have the luxury to wait at home for employment, as at the time I had a depandant who needed my financial support. So I made a drastic change in my life, and then started to work for myself.

There are literally so so many ways that you can earn a bit of money in our society, that to not be able to manage at least one of them, is just either laziness or incompetence. Even from a rural location where there may not be much face-to-face opportunities.. you still have access to the internet, which is an amazing place of opportunity for those willing enough to try and find it.

Will you become rich? No. Maybe you will only make a small bit of money.. maybe you will make none, and barely cover your costs.. but its a great alternative to volunteering until you manage to get a proper job. When you eventually do get that perfect interview, and they ask you 'so what have you been doing over X months since graduation?' - being able to say 'well.. Its difficult to get a job straight away, so in the mean time I have set-up X buisness and run it to gain experiance/income' is a brilliant answer. It shows that you have initiative, determination, and you are not just waiting for things to happen, but your the sort of person who makes it happen.

Plus if you do well enough, then you may have just made yourself you own career and not even need that job!

I find it quite shocking how many un-employed graduates I know, and how few of them consider starting their own buisness/working for themselves.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending