The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

I want to do a Law and English degree but i work full time??

Right, i've literally just looked at the open university, so i don't know much about it. I've done a little research about it but thats it really.

I'm almost 18 and am currently doing a Level 2 Business Administration apprenticeship, which ends in 3 months. The company want to keep me on full time, and i would like to stay but i really really want to start looking into Law and English as i really love these subjects and want to pursue them further.

I finished school with all pass grades, mainly A's and B's, and i started my A levels at a college, in Government and Politics, English Literature, Language, and sociology, then switched to English lit, sociology, Law, and communications and culture as i didn't like my courses. I stayed with college for about 2 months, but for some reason it just wasn't working for me so i left and got this apprenticeship.

I know you don't need qualifications to get into the open uni, but i wanted to stay in my job full time. Does anyone work full time and study at the Uni too? I would really like some feedback on what's that like and if its a good idea or not? I don't want to be consumed totally in work/uni all the time, and not have any time to breathe.

Also how does the fee's work, how much roughly and when do i pay?

Could i basically just have feedback from any one at this open Uni to tell me if its worth my time and if doing a Law/Lit degree alongside a full time job is a good idea??

Thank you
I work full time, just recently finished an OU BSc, and have now started a Master's with them. It's definitely possible to do it alongside full time work!

I do part time study. I do know (in real life) one person who did full time work + full time OU study, but I wouldn't recommend it - it basically involves studying all the time. Part time study is more manageable. There's a little time planner doohickey here that you can use to think about when you can fit study time in. In all honesty, I probably (errrrm, definitely) didn't always spend as long per week studying as the OU say it takes, although at busy times (eg when an assignment is due) I did more. Getting into a routine with it is probably the best idea!

I don't think the OU do a named degree in Law and English, but you could certainly combine those two subjects in an Open degree.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Quick Reply

Latest