Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

Can I get A* by doing this method of revision? (my own method)

Announcements Posted on
Why bother with a post grad? Are they even worth it? Have your say! 26-10-2016

1) Read the spec of all subjects and make flashcards and notes covering ALL the things in it
    2) After finishing revision of each unit/topic, do past papers under exam conditions, mark it and see why I did mistakes
    3) Cycle repeated

(Original post by ShiawaseNekox3)
    1) Read the spec of all subjects and make flashcards and notes covering ALL the things in it
    2) After finishing revision of each unit/topic, do past papers under exam conditions, mark it and see why I did mistakes
    3) Cycle repeated
    depends on the subject (like there's no point in doing notes for maths, just skip to step two)
    in general yes, but maybe start making notes/flashcards (don't need to do both) around now in time for mocks and save the past papers for the real exams
    if you're in year ten still then it's much too early to do anything, although it'd be good to go over your notes every weekend to make sure you understand everything

lmao how is this your own method, that's just the general method of how you revise.

I agree dont wast your time making notes for maths unless you dont get something, then watch yt videos.
    You could make very basic notes of formulas and how to answer questions.

But exam paprs are key

I didnt do exam papers and only learnt a few formulas etc and came with an A only.

If your in year 10 then just worry about getting your couseworks up to the highest grades possible(mostly english) cuz they will screw you over in year 11, you'll understand when you get to the end of year 11.

Also if you do languages then I recommend learning themin year 10 + complete courseworks to High A*'s because they tak a lot of time and revising it is not as easy as revising for sciences in year 11.(e.g. I was at a D- at the begining of the year, managed to push all my coursework to A*'s (IDK how lol) but I still failed th exam with E's but my coursewok pushed it up to a high B - so Make sure you do good in the coursework and ask your teachers what grade you got cuz they sometimes dont tell you so you cant retake it( e.g. you could be doing crap and not knowing about it - happens alot in english).

You only need cgp books for sciences + use this website for physics resources e.g. for convection currents (cuz the book was crap at explaining them IMO) + actaully make some notes on the first few pages e.g about how to do experiments and the names of graphs and why they are set like they are - cuz the biology exam actaully asked questions about it in the 2016 paper!

Dont do history unless your really good at it and good at english+ have a good teacher that knows how to mark coursework properly (I got A's in the exam but my coursework was marked at a low B ) - I would say the same for english but its compulsory, sadly. But lean grammar and how to structure paragaphs and before the exam make sure your timing is perfect - cuz time will screw you over in the exam.

Try making notes/flashcards. Then after a few weeks of learning it, condense the notes into shorter notes with only the important bits on new flashcards.

Try getting a plain sheet of paper/whiteboard and writting everything you know in detail about a topic without textbook - for sciences but you could try with quotes for eng lit.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 7, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Cats: Yay or nay?
Useful resources

Study tools

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.