The Student Room Group

NCS , is it worth it?

Hi , so I've been wondering whether I should spend my October half term doing NCS , but I'm not sure how much uni will value it?
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

Just quoting in Alisaurus Cats so she can move the thread if needed :wizard:

Spoiler

Absolutely not worth it. Try volunteering or doing catch up work instead.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rb16
Hi , so I've been wondering whether I should spend my October half term doing NCS , but I'm not sure how much uni will value it?

Do it because you think it will be fun or interesting or fill time you would otherwise waste....don't do it to "boost" your university application
NCS is definitely worth it.
It's not so much about putting "I did NCS" on your personal statement, but its about saying how it makes you a better applicant.

During NCS for me, we visited nursing homes and ended up organising an event for them. If I was applying to a nursing course, then this would look good. However, I'm not, so unless I can find a way to make it relate to my course, I'm not going to mention it.

I'm assuming you already know the course you want to do, so you can always find a way to make what you do relevant. I'll say give it a go!
Original post by rb16

focus on your exams. results is everything.
NCS is a 3 week programme - I had 1 week of residential at Lake District, came home for the weekend and another week of residential at a university accommodation. The 3rd week was going back and forth from home to a nearby school where we used the classrooms for projects. Plenty of time in between to study (if you want) but it's a great way to meet new people and get out of your comfort zone - it did for me.

I don't think universities will value it but if you back it up in your personal statement on how it makes you a good applicant, then go for it because you do a lot of team building activities with people you have never met and volunteering. I did NCS because it seemed fun and it was something to do in the summer.

Plus it counts as extra-curricular/super-curricular like Duke of Edinburgh
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending