The Student Room Group

UK Politics Quiz!

So, just out of interest, I want to find out how much people really know about UK politics from a little research. Particularly where there are some misconceptions.

Click on this link to take part - https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/3FJS5VS

You won't be told if you get the right answer, as it's more of a survey than anything else!

Takes up to a minute and would be really grateful for you to take part!

PLEASE DO NOT GOOGLE ANYTHING OR LIE

(merci)
Original post by jamestg
So, just out of interest, I want to find out how much people really know about UK politics from a little research. Particularly where there are some misconceptions.

Click on this link to take part - https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/3FJS5VS

You won't be told if you get the right answer, as it's more of a survey than anything else!

Takes up to a minute and would be really grateful for you to take part!

PLEASE DO NOT GOOGLE ANYTHING OR LIE

(merci)

The only problem I had was typing in N/A - but I guess you can blame that on my laziness. Oh, and if you're trying to gauge how much people know about UK politics just from that little amount of information, then I don't know. But it's a short survey, decent questions and clear :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Kiritsugu
The only problem I had was typing in N/A - but I guess you can blame that on my laziness. Oh, and if you're trying to gauge how much people know about UK politics just from that little amount of information, then I don't know. But it's a short survey, decent questions and clear :smile:

Thank you!

A very small amount of knowledge yes, but if people give correct answers to a misconceptions then you could imply that their knowledge is generally quite good.
Reply 3
Bump!

Some interesting responses so far :smile:
8 is a silly question and if anybody gives one of the answers they need to get out a dictionary.

Answrted correctly, although wrong according to what i assume you mean the question to say.
Reply 5
Original post by Jammy Duel
8 is a silly question and if anybody gives one of the answers they need to get out a dictionary.

Answrted correctly, although wrong according to what i assume you mean the question to say.

Are your referring to codification? If so, I don't mean for the question to say "do we have a codified constitution?".
I don't understand the 'in certain circumstances' answer for whether we elect our PM. Not sure what you're trying to get at, but in my view we don't directly elect our PM - he/she's more of an indirect result of the general election.
Reply 7
Original post by LennyBicknel
I don't understand the 'in certain circumstances' answer for whether we elect our PM. Not sure what you're trying to get at, but in my view we don't directly elect our PM - he/she's more of an indirect result of the general election.

I'll answer this one tomorrow, not because I don't know the answer but I don't want to post the answer on here just yet.
Answered :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Obiejess
Answered :smile:

Thanks!
Original post by jamestg
Are your referring to codification? If so, I don't mean for the question to say "do we have a codified constitution?".

Good, that means correct :smile:
Reply 11
***THE RESULTS***
Do you know who your MP is?
Yes - 16
No - 2

Do you know who your MEP is
Yes - 4
No - 14

Thank god we're leaving the EU lol.

What electoral system do we use to elect MPs?
FPTP - 17
Skipped - 1 (I hope this was an accident...)

Who is the head of state?
PM - 3
Queen - 15

Surprisingly, TSR did quite well on this one.

Are EU laws supreme over UK laws?
Yes - 8
No - 0
Depends on the laws - 10

Do we have a constitution?
Yes - 9
No - 9

Interesting...

Do we elect our PM?
Yes - 1
No - 12
Depends on the circumstance - 5

Does the Queen have the power to veto legislation?
Yes - 11
No - 7
Original post by jamestg
***THE RESULTS***
Do you know who your MP is?
Yes - 16
No - 2

Do you know who your MEP is
Yes - 4
No - 14

Thank god we're leaving the EU lol.

What electoral system do we use to elect MPs?
FPTP - 17
Skipped - 1 (I hope this was an accident...)

Who is the head of state?
PM - 3
Queen - 15

Surprisingly, TSR did quite well on this one.

Are EU laws supreme over UK laws?
Yes - 8
No - 0
Depends on the laws - 10

Do we have a constitution?
Yes - 9
No - 9

Interesting...

Do we elect our PM?
Yes - 1
No - 12
Depends on the circumstance - 5

Does the Queen have the power to veto legislation?
Yes - 11
No - 7

So what does 'depends on the circumstances mean'?
Reply 13
Original post by LennyBicknel
So what does 'depends on the circumstances mean'?

So technically we can elect our prime minister. There has to be a change of governing party leadership which results in an election where the parties vote, and in this case you're electing the leader of the governing party resulting as PM.

Obviously it's still a very small group of people, but generally some have the opportunity to elect a PM on very rare occasions.
Original post by jamestg
So technically we can elect our prime minister. There has to be a change of governing party leadership which results in an election where the parties vote, and in this case you're electing the leader of the governing party resulting as PM.

Obviously it's still a very small group of people, but generally some have the opportunity to elect a PM on very rare occasions.

That's incorrect. You're not electing a PM, you're electing a party leader. It just so happens that whoever the party leader of the biggest party in parliament in conventionally leads the government. This does not equate to the PM being directly elected.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by Obiejess
That's incorrect. You're not electing a PM, you're electing a party leader. It just so happens that whoever the party leader of the biggest party in parliament in conventionally leads the government. This does not equate to the PM being directly elected.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hmmm...

However the person you are voting for is a candidate to become PM, that's an unavoidable. Bear in mind I'm not saying it's whenever you elect a party leader, only when there is a leadership election for the governing party.
Original post by jamestg
Hmmm...

However the person you are voting for is a candidate to become PM, that's an unavoidable. Bear in mind I'm not saying it's whenever you elect a party leader, only when there is a leadership election for the governing party.

Even then, it's only by covention they lead government. As seen by May, a party leadership contest is very much decided within the party - it is only a leader not a PM being elected.

Posted from TSR Mobile
We do not elect a Prime Minister in the slightest. The only people you could possibly suggest who elect a PM are the electorate in the party leader's district.
We do not elect the PM, we elect a party leader, who can consequently become a PM. It's like saying we elect a PM because we elect MPs who form the largest party, it's incorrect logic.
Technically you can vote for who is PM though, BUT you need to be a party member of the ruling party who is eligible to vote and for there to be a leadership election that goes to a party vote while in power.

Quick Reply