Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Friends after rejection

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

I met a girl recently and after a few days of hanging out I asked her out. She said no and we agreed to remain friends (I'm actually kind of glad, I think I only really like her as a friend). I have talked to her once and texted her once since and I'm not sure if she was uncomfortable or felt weird. Is it best to wait a while before talking to her again? I'd rather not break off contact completely as I really like her as a friend. How long should I wait?

It doesn't really work out. Your feelings may grow stronger if you stay friends with her, this while you knowing that she only sees you as a friend. I wouldn't say break off contact completely, but you should take a step back and not get too close. You're already thinking about when to text her; your feelings haven't gone yet so keep that in mind.

If anything it may be awkward for you and not necessarily the girl. Some people stay in the friendship to keep giving the girl some attention to win her over but that never works. If you find that your feelings get stronger and stronger, you probably should cut contact. It's for the best. I've been in that position before and the friendship just doesn't hold when one person's feelings isn't reciprocated.

Do friends worry about how long to wait? No. Just be yourself fam, if she can't handle that, she's no friend. Simples
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 8, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.