Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Females boycott hijab in Iran chess competition- Hypocritical?

Announcements Posted on
Last day to win £100 of Amazon vouchers - don't miss out! Take our quick survey to enter 24-10-2016

Disclaimer: I am against forcing women to wear the hijab 100% and believe it should be a choice like most rational human beings.

Now let me begin by outlining the story. Several female chess players such as
    Nazi P- Barnes have refused to travel to Iran, due to the law on a hijab being mandatory for women. She argues he will not support "opression" by conforming to these strict rules. Ofcourse many have come and supported her, however many have come out arguing despite her pure intentions the consequences are potentially the opposite of what she advocates. -

Firstly the fact that there is a chess competition for females in Iran is quite significant, as chess was banned for about a decade. Several Iranian women in the articles I have linked have come out and said this so called "boycott" was unnecessary and impedes Iranian women from attaining more rights and freedoms. Instead this so-called act of defiance will simply play into the hands of Iranian hardliners, who will show this proves the West wants to keep defying Iran in all aspects.It might lead to less funding for women's sport, which has improved immensely in the past decade. We must really ask if Nazi's act of defiance is really going to change anything, and the answer is no. All it does is bring controversy on a chess tournament and plays into the hands on Iranian hardliners, who want to see this rhetoric espoused from Western nations to keep Iranian women at home. However Iranian women will always strive to prove the fundamentalists wrong, through their valour. Up to 60% of Iran's university population is infact female-- http://monitor.icef.com/2015/12/iran...ming-now-what/

Furthermore, this act of boycotting made me wonder if the same would occur if the normal hijab or veil became publicly banned in France. In this case women who chose to wear it would be forced to take it off, akin to women in Iran being forced to put it on. It could well become a reality in France for example as former French primeminster Nicholas Sarkozy has announced on his campaign trail.--
    I just wonder if the same women would come out and boycott the French chess tournaments for women, if the hijab were banned, and I can't particularly imagine them doing so.

Finally I would like to make the point of the hypocrisy of right wingers. Now again I REITERATE I am 100% against forcing one to wear the hijab, yet it is quite hysterical how right wingers want you to adhere to the values of their land (e.g. Sarcozy), but are somehow against it when other nations want people to adhere to their laws,culture and customs. Just a simple observation.

TLDR: Women's chess tournament in Iran. Some women are against it because you must wear the hijab. Consequences are more detrimental than progressive if this happens for Iranian women.

Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 8, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Would you rather find
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.