Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Man drove into shoppers shouting Allahu Akbar ‘was just singing along to rap music'

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

A man who drove his car towards pedestrians in Vienna while shouting “Allahu Akbar” was merely singing along to rap music on a trip to buy pizza, his parents have said.

Police arrested the 21-year-old driver, named as Ibrahim C, on suspicion of attempting to run down shoppers in a possible terror attack on 29 September.

Witnesses said passers-by leaped out the way as his car ploughed towards a pedestrianised zone of the Austrian capital.

A spokesperson for Vienna Police said Ibrahim had attempted to run down passers-by while shouting “Allahu Akbar”, repeating the phrase while struggling against officers during his arrest.

Prosecutors said all lines of investigation were open but that a “religious motive could not be excluded” after a copy of the Quran was found on a car seat, although the 21-year-old was not previously known to police, and no link to extremist groups has so far been found.

In interviews with local media, Ibrahim’s parents have said the episode was a huge misunderstanding, adding that their son was unemployed and had recently been suffering hallucinations after smoking cannabis.

His father, Mehmet Ali C, told the Österreich newspaper: “Ibrahim borrowed my car to buy pizza from the shop where he always goes – he was looking for a parking space. He was listening to music in the car and was singing along loudly … he is against Isis.” The father also said the Quran was his.

Journalists at the Kronen Zeitung listened to the music in question, a Turkish-German rap song, and said the phrase could “clearly be heard”.

Ibrahim remains in custody as the investigation continues.

What is TSR's verdict?

I don't know about TSR's verdict, but mine is that the fact that some young guy could even be suspected of trying to run people over with his car in the streets of a European capital in the name of his religion, shows the extent of the current crisis within Islam itself, and of our problems as a continent trying to confront these religious maniacs.

It is too early to say whether it was in fact what was attempted. But I defy anyone to honestly tell me they would be surprised if it does turn out to be the case.

Or even if it isn't what happened here, that some other Muslim nutjob will do the exact same thing (ie following the Islamic State's orders to drive into "Crusader" pedestrians, which is where all this stems from) somewhere else in Europe or America, some time soon.

i spit bars like allahu akbar
    trap bar lemme loosten yo strap bra
    bra straps i wanna see yo booty clap
    booty snaps for when i have a need to fap

i have beef everytime i read hadith
    take off yo hijab i wanna see what's underneath
    im the chief when i comes to rolling leaf
    take yo V like a thief is my motif

I'm the Mujahideen,
    and I'm making a scene,
    now you's gonna feel,
    what the boom boom means,
    it's like Tupac said,
    "when I die, I'm not dead",
    we are the martyrs,
    you're just smashed tomatoes,

Nothing to do with Islam of course.

perhaps he would like this one:

Yes and Me driving my van into a bunch of black people and shouting Die N****** was just me rapping
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 8, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.