Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

Benedict's Test: Testing for carbohydrates question

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

I'm doing some homework and it asks about how I would distinguish various carbohydrate samples. One of the questions asks how I would identify a mixture of sucrose and glucose solutions.

I'm a bit unsure. The Benedict's test for reducing sugars would of course prove positive because of the glucose. However, if I then did the Benedict's test for non-reducing sugars with another 2cm3 of the sample, surely the result would still be positive due to the glucose?

To reword the question, how do I determine that BOTH sucrose and glucose are present?

Hi, you are correct in using Benedict's solution to test for glucose You would carry out that test on a measured, say 5 cm3 sample, and check what colour you get; it is likely to be green or yellow or even orange if there is a moderate amount of glucose in the mixture.

Then you take another sample of the mixture (the same volume as before (5 cm3, say), add dilute HCl to it, leave it for several minutes, then repeat Benedict's test. This time the colour will indicate a greater amount of reducing sugar e. g. orange if it was green or yellow in the first test, otherwise brick red.

The explanation is that the hydrochloric acid catalyses the breakdown of sucrose to glucose and fructose; this means that in the second test there would be more reducing sugar present, and this would give a stronger result with Benedict's test.

If the first test gives a brick red result (indicating that there is a substantial amount of glucose in the original mixture), then you have two options; 1. you can dilute the mixture with water, and repeat both tests OR
    2. You can do the two tests on the original mixture and use a colorimeter to estimate the amount pf copper (I) oxide produced (which will indicate the amount of reducing sugar present); there will be a greater degree of colouration (higher colorimeter reading after adding dilute HCl.

Hope this helps.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 9, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.