Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

SAAS +1 year advice desperately needed

Announcements Posted on
Would YOU be put off a uni with a high crime rate? First 50 to have their say get a £5 Amazon voucher! 27-10-2016

I'm repeating second year at Uni and have tried to activate my +1 year with SAAS in order to get full funding. Initially they approved. Now, 5 weeks into my course they have reassessed and said my first year was technically my +1 year as I had started a uni course back in 1995 and received tuition assistance.

Now I did start a uni course back in 1995 but withdrew after a month because I got a job that I really wanted to do. But tuition fees were not introduced until 1997, so what are they talking about when they say I received "tuition assistance"? I remember receiving my first student loan payment back then but according to SAAS student loans don't count when it comes to previous study - only tuition fees.

Does anyone know how SAAS count previous study before tuition fees were introduced? Also they say the Uni never notified them that I had withdrew from the course therefore the uni received tuition fees for me. How? There was no tuition fees.

This is causing me endless sleepless nights as I can't afford £1800 in fees.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Have you contacted SAAS to explain your situation? Either contact them directly or contact the relevant person at your university.

(Original post by trythis)
    Have you contacted SAAS to explain your situation? Either contact them directly or contact the relevant person at your university.
    Yes. I got a letter from SAAS saying they reassessed my award and I was now only eligible to a loan. I phoned and they said I should appeal. I did. The appeal was saying about how I had revived tuition help back in 1995 and they stand by their reassessment etc etc. I am absolutely convinced this is incorrect. How can I have received tuition assistance when tuition fees hadn't been introduced?

They say I can only take this further if I provide new evidence. The company I worked for in 1995 have now folded. My only hope is the university I went to back then but if they never notified SAAS at the time I doubt they will be able to shed much light on it.

As my matter of interest, does anyone know when SAAS was created?
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 8, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Would you rather be able to
Useful resources

Official student finance zone

Quick Link

Unanswered SAAS Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.