The Student Room Group

why are so many British people job snobs ? (whats wrong with being a cleaner)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by looloo2134
because everybody who is able bodied should be employed what ever their level of education. Having a degree does don't make you entailed to a degree level job you should be employed in any job.

Clearly not a view shared by many businesses hence the abundance of graduate schemes available to those with a 2:1 or higher. If having a degree made you no better than the average person then why are so many positions only available to those with a degree?
The graduate unemployment rate is going up and up each year about a 1/3 of people graduate system get fired. Almost half of graduate that do a degree that don't lead to a qualification like nursing. Regretted doing their degree because not being able to find graduate level job employment. They offer end up doing bar work.
Reply 82
because everybody who is able bodied should be employed what ever their level of education. Having a degree does don't make you entailed to a degree level job you should be employed in any job.

Why should they be? If the person doesn't have a need to work why can't they lead a more leisurely life, pursue some hobbies, work on some personal projects, travel a bit.

If I was hiring I'd rather employ someone who'd spent a year travelling the world than someone who'd spent a year cleaning toilets in the day and spending the evening down the local pub.
Original post by Dheorl
Why should they be? If the person doesn't have a need to work why can't they lead a more leisurely life, pursue some hobbies, work on some personal projects, travel a bit.

If I was hiring I'd rather employ someone who'd spent a year travelling the world than someone who'd spent a year cleaning toilets in the day and spending the evening down the local pub.

If you want employed a person sponged off their parents to spent a year traveling the world. Than a person who has worked their way through university and spend money that they earn through hard work on holidays aboard. Than your business will fail the people you employ will not be hard working and they will think themselves better than other people.
Reply 84
If you want employed a person sponged off their parents to spent a year traveling the world. Than a person who has worked their way through university and spend money that they earn through hard work on holidays aboard. Than your business will fail the people you employ will not be hard working and they will think themselves better than other people.

You're making way more assumptions than you reasonably can from my original statement. Why does the person travelling have to be sponging off parents or not gone to uni?
Original post by Dheorl
You're making way more assumptions than you reasonably can from my original statement. Why does the person travelling have to be sponging off parents or not gone to uni?

A 22 year old university graduate would not have made another money through working part-time while studying to earn another money to travel for a year. They would need help for their parents or have a be doing a working hoilday.
Reply 86
A 22 year old university graduate would not have made another money through working part-time while studying to earn another money to travel for a year. They would need help for their parents or have a be doing a working hoilday.

a) That's not true. Depending which uni you're at if you're smart you can live off student loan/grant/bursary/scholarship. 4 months over summer over three years (+xmas jobs/part time job at uni) is easily enough to save for some serious travelling. I'd be much more impressed by a uni student who had done this for three years and travelled, than one who spent all their money at uni on booze and takeaways then had to go to work as soon as they were done.
b) You said people should always be working, which to me is a stupid statement. If you have the means to not work, then why would you? Why would I be a cleaner when I have enough money to go see the world?
Original post by Dheorl
a) That's not true. Depending which uni you're at if you're smart you can live off student loan/grant/bursary/scholarship. 4 months over summer over three years (+xmas jobs/part time job at uni) is easily enough to save for some serious travelling. I'd be much more impressed by a uni student who had done this for three years and travelled, than one who spent all their money at uni on booze and takeaways then had to go to work as soon as they were done.
b) You said people should always be working, which to me is a stupid statement. If you have the means to not work, then why would you? Why would I be a cleaner when I have enough money to go see the world?

don't call my statement stupid during the summer holiday you should be working to paid your parents back and be paying rent in their house. You should be saving your money for deposit or montage on a flat. Than when your older you can travel the world it you like without other people paying your trip.
don't call my statement stupid during the summer holiday you should be working to paid your parents back and be paying rent in their house. You should be saving your money for deposit or montage on a flat. Than when your older you can travel the world it you like without other people paying your trip.

Also student loan are loan you have to pay them back when your income is high another there not free money, Your putting yourself into £40000 of debt went you could put some of the loan into a saving account it your sensible with your money.
Reply 89
Also student loan are loan you have to pay them back when your income is high another there not free money, Your putting yourself into £40000 of debt went you could put some of the loan into a saving account it your sensible with your money.

I dissagree with you. I think the notion that you should always be working is stupid, simple as that. There is sooooo much more to life than work and money, but if that's all you want out of it I guess that's your choice. We clearly have very different approaches to life. For instance your comment of saving for a flat, to me, seems completely ridiculous thing for a uni student to be doing. Maybe it's due to my parents. I wouldn't pay them rent and they'd never accept it from me even if I tried. Money for food, sure, but apart from that it doesn't cost anything extra if I'm living there, why would you want to profit from your own children?

I'd simply be looking to hire a more well rounded individual.
Reply 90
My brother-in-law runs his owns company that employed over 500 people. he can't count the number of time he had a person come for an interview who is almost 25 years old been to university who has zone work experience on their CV. He always asks them what wrong with doing a cleaning job in the early morning or evening after college it looks better to have any form of employment of your CV.
They always fail to get employment which his company which pays over £9.00 an hour for a bag handler at the airport. because they come across as lazy and seem themselves as too good for jobs such as being a cleaner.

there's nothing wrong with being a cleaner but why would anyone choose to do it if they don't have to? it doesn't give you any life skills that you can't get in another job you may prefer such as working behind a bar. it is an unpleasant job.

i have worked as a cleaner btw
Original post by Dheorl
I dissagree with you. I think the notion that you should always be working is stupid, simple as that. There is sooooo much more to life than work and money, but if that's all you want out of it I guess that's your choice. We clearly have very different approaches to life. For instance your comment of saving for a flat, to me, seems completely ridiculous thing for a uni student to be doing. Maybe it's due to my parents. I wouldn't pay them rent and they'd never accept it from me even if I tried. Money for food, sure, but apart from that it doesn't cost anything extra if I'm living there, why would you want to profit from your own children?

I'd simply be looking to hire a more well rounded individual.

i never meet anybody who parents don't change them rent even £20.00 out their benefit check. Everyone who over 18 should be paying towards the cost of running the household.
Original post by Moura
there's nothing wrong with being a cleaner but why would anyone choose to do it if they don't have to? it doesn't give you any life skills that you can't get in another job you may prefer such as working behind a bar. it is an unpleasant job.

i have worked as a cleaner btw

the young people that come in have never worked they been on unemployment benefits for almost a year after university. They are sent to places like Maximum to help them find work which they wine about going too because they think there better than the other clients even those their in the same vote.
Reply 93
i never meet anybody who parents don't change them rent even £20.00 out their benefit check. Everyone who over 18 should be paying towards the cost of running the household.

Lol, the fact that you picked out the one bit you think you can reasonably dissagree with out of an entire post just shows how weak your conviction in your argument is.
My brother-in-law runs his owns company that employed over 500 people. he can't count the number of time he had a person come for an interview who is almost 25 years old been to university who has zone work experience on their CV. He always asks them what wrong with doing a cleaning job in the early morning or evening after college it looks better to have any form of employment of your CV.
They always fail to get employment which his company which pays over £9.00 an hour for a bag handler at the airport. because they come across as lazy and seem themselves as too good for jobs such as being a cleaner.

Nice story, living near an airport I know baggage handlers get way more than 9 pounds per hour and they will take pretty much anyone who can pass the security checks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dheorl
Lol, the fact that you picked out the one bit you think you can reasonably dissagree with out of an entire post just shows how weak your conviction in your argument is.

i know employers who have tried employing young people who travel during their time at university they almost never working out that why a !/3 of people on graduate schemes are fired because they have got any work effect. The least person i know who took a graduate who had been traveling on a young lady she always come in late on a Monday because of seeing her boyfriend she would use bad language in the office she would turn up hangover. She did all the tax return wrong which cost the company thousand and would look down on the staff that did manual labour. She got fired after a month now this company will only employment people out of university who have work during their holidays in any job because they got work effect. it pay £25000 a year for new graduate.
Reply 96
i know employers who have tried employing young people who travel during their time at university they almost never working out that why a !/3 of people on graduate schemes are fired because they have got any work effect. The least person i know who took a graduate who had been traveling on a young lady she always come in late on a Monday because of seeing her boyfriend she would use bad language in the office she would turn up hangover. She did all the tax return wrong which cost the company thousand and would look down on the staff that did manual labour. She got fired after a month now this company will only employment people out of university who have work during their holidays in any job because they got work effect. it pay £25000 a year for new graduate.

So you're going to try and make nationwide assumptions based on personal anecdotal evidence... Oh deary me. I stand by what I say; I would rather employ someone who has travelled than someone who has worked as a cleaner. Oh, and btw, £25,000 really isn't anything to be that proud of.

I've got to ask, because my curiosity has just got too much, where are you from?
Original post by Dheorl
So you're going to try and make nationwide assumptions based on personal anecdotal evidence... Oh deary me. I stand by what I say; I would rather employ someone who has travelled than someone who has worked as a cleaner. Oh, and btw, £25,000 really isn't anything to be that proud of.

I've got to ask, because my curiosity has just got too much, where are you from?

London and almost 40 so I much more aware of the world of work and life and in my early twenty i through similar to you. It hard lesson but everyone will learn it,
Reply 98
London and almost 40 so I much more aware of the world of work and life and in my early twenty i through similar to you. It hard lesson but everyone will learn it,

No offence, but I think I'd rather take life lessons from people who can communicate properly in their native language.

I believed that having a 2.1 in any subject was a meal ticket to a better life and so did my class mates and traveling broaden the horizons. For most graduates degree that don't lead to professional jobs they ended up not getting a graduate level jobs they end up behind their school mates who did an apprenticeship in term of salary. Also some of most nieve people i ever meet have been people i meet while traveling. there also be studies of British people who travel are more close minded to problems such as homelessness and child poverty in Britain.

Quick Reply