The Student Room Group

Can I get into a Russell Group University?

For my gcse's I got 4A*s 6As 1B, I'm currently doing my A levels and I'm taking economics, politics, history, russian and as sociology, so I'm only doing 1 facilitating subject so will they not accept me into a RG uni like UCL or do the grades you get matter more? I want to do a course like political economy or something with history which doesn't require any specific subjects but maybe my subjects are not respected enough for Russell group or are they fine?

Thank you for any feedback :smile:
Original post by valdokarina
For my gcse's I got 4A*s 6As 1B, I'm currently doing my A levels and I'm taking economics, politics, history, russian and as sociology, so I'm only doing 1 facilitating subject so will they not accept me into a RG uni like UCL or do the grades you get matter more? I want to do a course like political economy or something with history which doesn't require any specific subjects but maybe my subjects are not respected enough for Russell group or are they fine?

Your A level choices are fine, it's your common sense that might let you down! How can you think that with Economics and Politics at A level you might not be able to do political economy, or with History you might not be able to do history?

At the most brutal assessment you have one soft AS in Sociology and presumably, one non-foreign language in Russian? So even if they are discounted (which they won't be totally, in terms of workload) you still have 3 academic A levels. You'll be fine so long as you get the grades.
You'll be fine with those grades and A Levels. Just work hard this year
Original post by threeportdrift
Your A level choices are fine, it's your common sense that might let you down! How can you think that with Economics and Politics at A level you might not be able to do political economy, or with History you might not be able to do history?

At the most brutal assessment you have one soft AS in Sociology and presumably, one non-foreign language in Russian? So even if they are discounted (which they won't be totally, in terms of workload) you still have 3 academic A levels. You'll be fine so long as you get the grades.

Check PM please :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by threeportdrift

I see, thank you :smile: and well that's what I liked so I thought it would show them that I'm interested in that area plus political economy is not politics and economics, also to do history at uni you have to do it at A levels most of the time, and Russian is not my native language so hopefully they shouldn't look down at it, I actually take lessons for it.
Original post by valdokarina

Your GCSEs are great, Russian is facilitating and economics and politics are well respected. You're fine :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by trabajadora
Your GCSEs are great, Russian is facilitating and economics and politics are well respected. You're fine :smile:

ahh thank you :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by biglad2k16
You'll be fine with those grades and A Levels. Just work hard this year

Alright, thank you very much :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest