Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Jeremy Hunt thinks doctors should be treated exactly like the armed forces...

Announcements Posted on
Why bother with a post grad course - waste of time? 17-10-2016

I can't believe Jeremy Hunt, the current health secretary, has put forward plans that doctors are required to work in the NHS for 4 years otherwise they will be in debt until they pay off the value of their training at medical school.

I struggle to think of a single other career where tuition fees are not enough to pay for your qualification, as extortionate as they already are. Students already leave medical school with at least £50,000 of debt as it is, now Mr Hunt wants them to have an extra £200,000 held to them unless they pay it off by working for 4 years? So this takes away the UK doctor's right to the global labour market and we have become a tiny, inward looking nation with no provision for its citizens' ambitions to work abroad...

Finally, what kind of nonsense is it to compare a medical student's period of studying at university to someone who trains to join the army? Not only are the requirements completely different, people who join the army are agreeing to be outside of civilian life for a period of their lives. The armed forces are nothing to do with higher education, you don't need a degree and the only analogy to 'becoming a professional' is 'training to be an officer'. It goes without saying that these two things are completely different.

What are your thoughts on this? Has Jeremy Hunt gone way too far this time?

"But we are the fifth largest economy in the world – so we should be training all the doctors we need. And today I can tell you that’s exactly what we’re going to do.

From September 2018, we will train up to 1500 more doctors every year, increasing the number of medical school places by up to a quarter.

That’s the biggest annual increase in medical student training in the history of the NHS.

Of course it will take a number of years before those students qualify, but by the end of the next parliament we will make the NHS self-sufficient in doctors.

Training a doctor costs over £200,000. So in return we will ask all new doctors to work for the NHS for four years, just as army recruits are asked to after their training."

source: http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2016/10...erence-speech/

I don't like Hunt and I think in many ways junior doctors are getting a really raw deal.

But I don't have a problem with them being required to work for the NHS. It costs the state a lot to put someone through medical school and is a bit of a joke if they just swan off afterwards. If you are not prepared to use your skills to help the people who paid for your training then please don't become a doctor.

Either they pay for it out of their own pocket or they let the state pay for it and they work in the NHS...

Sounds fair to me.

Op has no idea about the army if they think the only professional role in the army is "training to be an officer".
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 9, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Would you want to know what your pet is thinking about you?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.