Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Sleep doesn't refresh me, keep feeling tired and sleeping too long

Announcements Posted on
Why bother with a post grad? Are they even worth it? Have your say! 26-10-2016

I have anxiety, OCD and maybe a form of depression. I have been to the GP and I'm going to CBT for OCD but the anxiety and depression symptoms, I'm not sure how I'm going to tackle. I've been to CBT for anxiety before, it just keeps seeming to come back. I felt better a couple of times mainly being told and thinking I don't need to worry but now that doesn't seem to really work, I don't really know why I feel anxious, on edge and down. I tend to procrastinate and put off things a lot and I've lost interest in things and find things difficult to start and finish. Sleep does not seem to refresh me, whether I get a little, an ok amount or too much. I tend to go through phases of just sleeping for way too long but even when I try getting up earlier I'm still tired. My eyes keep feeling tired and I usually struggle to get to sleep. I've even started going to sleep late until I feel really tired so I can get to sleep a bit easier. Does anyone have any advice on any of this please? Thank you

I have the same problems, I could sleep all day and still feel the same if I slept for 5 hours or less, I tend to procastinate alot and get disinterested in things fast and lose focus easily, but that's due to me having lupus and fibromyalgia, it took some time for me to be diagnosed since it's hard for doctors to distinguish it.

set up a sleeping routine so sleep at the same time every night doesn't really matter when you wake up just always sleep at the same time .

There was a point in my life a few years ago where I somehow managed to "get" social anxiety. It was so horrible and draining. It ended by first telling myself over and over ppl don't care enough to be looking at you etc and also whenever the thoughts occurred talking myself out of it and then actually interacting in pressure situations and talking myself out of whatever feelings I was having. Avoiding situations that give you anxiety only made it worse, talking myself out of my thoughts by countering them cleared it all up, although it did take a while. You relapsing into anxiety again is because you're not talking to yourself in third person to get out of it EVERY SINGLE time.

Hope that helped .

Tackling something with a deadline carries with it an amount of alertness (adrenaline), so avoidance can feel "safer" hence the procrastination/sleeping.

Poor sleep patterns are usually a symptom of anxiety/depression. When those issues are resolved, sleep takes care of itself. Using tiredness as the trigger for sleep may not give your mind much control over the ability to sleep when you want at night in a good routine. Anxiety increases alertness and if you have woken in the early hours, your natural tiredness triggers won't help the return to sleep.

Have you tried breathing/meditation/visualisation? It's not a quick-fix, but the long term learning of habits/techniques may give you more control than the tiredness option. It can help through your day too.

Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 10, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Cats: Yay or nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.