The Student Room Group

Accounting and Finance dual major or Finance?

ok so im confused. im about to start my undergraduate and i need help deciding between a bachelor in accounting and finance or just finance? ill be studying in the uk and i want to know if there is any significant advantage that one has over the other? also in the accounting and finance program, are we taught condensed forms of accounting and finance to make the program fit into the duration or full programs? im in my A levels last year and i have accounting economics and business and have straight As in all of them. though i dont like accounting its like torture i have to sit during the class boring as hell makes my eyes piss out water. i intend on pursuing a career in FINANCE. i also plan on doing a masters after it probably in finance only. please guide me should i go for accounting and finance or finance only?
Reply 1
Accounting and Finance will be very similar to straight a straight finance course. The obvious difference will be that you'll do more Accounting in the former. If accounting bores you so much then why are you considering a finance degree? The two subjects are complementary and you really need to know one to fully appreciate the other, so even in a straight finance course you'd likely still do some accounting.
Reply 2
Original post by I is you
Accounting and Finance will be very similar to straight a straight finance course. The obvious difference will be that you'll do more Accounting in the former. If accounting bores you so much then why are you considering a finance degree? The two subjects are complementary and you really need to know one to fully appreciate the other, so even in a straight finance course you'd likely still do some accounting.

yes iam aware finance does have some accounting background etc but i can deal with that. i guess i used the wrong words to describe accounting. i just dont want to become an accountant. i do plan on doing CFA and FRM. so for a career in finance what would you suggest me to do. accounting and finance or finance only?? i can do both the degrees its not that accounting is gonna make me kill myself or something like that its just that i dont have a desire to go into the depths of accounting that much.
Reply 3
Why are you even considering A+F if Accounting bores you so much?

A+F will offer you more exemptions towards professional accounting bodies such as the ACCA, but if you definitely aren't interested in pursuing accounting then go for the Finance degree.
Reply 4
Original post by SIN3
Why are you even considering A+F if Accounting bores you so much?

A+F will offer you more exemptions towards professional accounting bodies such as the ACCA, but if you definitely aren't interested in pursuing accounting then go for the Finance degree.

youre right.. thanks for the answer. :smile:

its just that so many people have said that they did both A+F and the knowledge of accounting helped them accelerate their careers in finance. thats what i wanted to know.
I'd choose F&A given your case. But, ultimately play your interest card and make a choice!
Hi, In case u need a hand on finance tasks, I would gladly help out

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending