The Student Room Group

Help with Top 5

This is my first post on TSR and i have found some on the information around these forums pretty useful. However, i'm still struggling on a few issues with my university choices (all to study History).

My choices are (in rank order)
#1: Manchester (37)
#2: Leeds (35)
#3: Newcastle (35)
#4: Sheffield (32) (Ins)
#5: Exeter (30 - 31) (Ins)

I'm currently studying the International Baccalaureate and i'm predicted 38 points without a possible bonus 3 points (max 41), which is currently succeeding all my offers.

I was primarily looking at Oxbridge or Cambridge then talked myself out of it as I wanted to go to a bustling city instead - which you can probably see in my options.

My top choice is looking to be Manchester at the moment, however i am worried about how good the actual course is. The requirements are very high(37) and the course appears to be good but (and i know you shouldn't really go by this) it comes very low in the majority of subject tables from various sources.

I'm a little confused; at the moment i'm looking at studying Law as a postgraduate and i fear that getting into a good law course afterwards may be difficult if the Manchester course isn't regarded as highly?

Any advice would be highly appreciated!
I always get informed that the institution you choose to study at should not mean that your degree is 'worth' any more. Although I do not always feel this is the case, i believe that it is important to find a balance.

Yes, you want a university with a better reputation but you do not want to sacrifice your contentment whilst you are studying there. I believe that it is more important to be happy studying at the lowest rated university than dreading 3+ years at the best and perhaps limiting your performance in examinations. An employer would obviously choose a better quality degree.

Ratings are not the be all and end all either. They change each year and the everyday employer, i guess, will have a perception of the university rather than the current rating, especially not the rating in a particular subject.

Good luck with your choices. (I would say choose newcastle but im biased because i live near there and like the city out of all of the ones youve mentioned.lol)
Reply 2
Your top 5 are pretty similar in reputation, you should simply make a decision based on the university itself and the course - look at what the university is like and try to work out what you'd like to study out of the options available. Whichever one ticks the most boxes should be your first choice.
Reply 3
Okay so you want a bustling city!

Have you considered any of the London Uni's at all? LSE, UCL, and KCL have very highly regarded courses and you'll be in the heart of the great London megatropolis!
Reply 4
Small point, but Exeter really isn't a bustling city. I think that Manchester does have a good reputation, but personally I didn't think the course was worth the (high) AAA entry requirement at A Level, although I don't know much about the IB so I can't really comment.
Reply 5
Thanks for all the advice!

I have considered looking at London, in particular UCL, but I live pretty close to London at the moment so i go their quite regularly and price is a little problem as well. Although in saying that, it's something i ruled out without too much thought so i may reconsider.

I was aware that Exeter isn't the most bustling of cities, in hindsight, i don't think i will probably include it; it's just that it's point score is very low.
Reply 6
I think if you want a bussling city and you dont want to go to London then Manchester is the top 1 really. Although what about Edinbrugh? thats a big city and is a better university than Manchester.

Latest

Trending

Trending